Dac with HDMI input???

I just got a kind of ghetto solution.

It's an HDMI board that converts it to 8 channel I2S. It just rips HDCP, probably because the keys are integrated on the chipset, and leaves you with the I2S signal.

After that, you´ve got I2S signal to output to a DAC, or to a DSP or whatever...

Obviously, it's not a Dolby/DTS Decoder, so the audio in the HDMI must be PCM and previously decoded in the source.

I´ve posted several times for help on this regard, as I want to implement "a kind of" audio processor with HDMI input, DSP and 16 DAC for active speakers (ADAU1452 with 2x AD1938 in TDM16). Not so audiophile, but jitter put aside, it's probably in the same performance ballpark as most USD$750ish AVR's.

Regarding the jitter, the ADAU1452 has a dejitter circuit integrated, and I am looking for a multichannel FIFO reclock for a little help.

Very interesting, what is this board ?
I would be more interested to have spdif/aes3 output from it. It should not be difficult to find an i2s to aes3 chip.

Here is a picture of the board.

It's really ghetto, it even has the markings on HDMI chipset decoder deleted with some kind of acid.

I haven't tested it yet. Only with my ADAU1701 but I was having troubles with the clock because it seems to need a slave clock on the I2S input.

I have to try it with my ADAU1452.

Attachments

• hdmi board.jpg
    hdmi board.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 182
Which hdmi splitter is disabling hdcp ?
Back in December 2015, I just searched ebay for one that mentioned HDCP in the listing, and hoped for the best.
The description (from the email confirmation) was "HDMI 1.3 1X2 1080P 3D HDCP Splitter Amplifier 1 input 2 output for Dual Dispaly" I've attached the thumbnail picture from the emails. This looks similar, but that doesn't mean the guts are the same:
"HD 3D 1080p HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 out HDCP Stripper HDMI Amplifier Video Switcher"
HD 3D 1080p HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 out HDCP Stripper HDMI Amplifier Video Switcher | eBay

Attachments

• hdmi_splitter.jpg
    hdmi_splitter.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited: