Current (Apr '21) recommendations for good self-build DAC board or product

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

The number of threads here recommending DAC boards is a bit overwhelming. And when you follow the eBay link it is inevitably dead, even for some quite recent posts.

So I would like to ask the experienced here, which board (in April 2021) is a good choice for a self-build and experimentation project. Of course I would prefer to hear about actual experiences rather than web hearsay etc.

My criteria are:

• Uses good parts not a risk of fakes or out-of-spec - for the digital chips in particular
  • Is currently available from a reputable seller
  • Has balanced output (either voltage or current but I suspect the latter is more likely)
  • Has a good chance of excellent sound quality with the right attention to power supplies and the audio stages
  • Is not much more than £60 to purchase unless it's really special
  • Has at least SPDIF electrical and USB inputs - optical would be nice too
  • Will manage some of the most recent digital standards and hopefully some of the ones coming along soon too

I am agnostic about R-2R or delta-sigma (or whatever else is out there) and I'm not allergic to good digital filters as they are very effective at what they do if well conceived.

My plan is to focus on good power supplies and particularly the audio output stages. For a current-out DAC I'm going to experiment with a top quality step-up transformer and active transimpedance amps either discrete FETs or fast high spec op amps and passive filtering. If it was possible to have very low or no DC on current outputs that would be great but I'm not sure how likely that is.

I guess a recommendation for a good second-hand commercial unit that has all the right digital parts but where the audio out can be tweaked is also of interest.

Many thanks in advance for all the insights!

Michael

Hmmm.. more than 200 views but no answers yet. :eek:

Perhaps if I gave some possibilities?

Current o/p

PCM 1794 (-2, -8)

PCM 1704 (-1, -2)

AK 4499

ES 90x8 (k2m, Pro, q2m)​

Voltage o/p

CS 4398 (-7)

CS 4490 (-3, -5, -7))

AK 4396 (-3)

WM 87xx​

Don't know

TDA 1547 = DAC 7

AD 1862

AD 1853

AD 1955

PCM 58-65​

Thanks

M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.