Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Optical or Coax Input to DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2021, 09:00 PM   #11
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canvas View Post
The problem with Toslink is usually the transmit/receiver module. They induce too much jitter.
Sorry that you have a jitter sensitive DAC - try another receiver circuit and enjoy the benefit of opto isolation!?

//
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:00 PM   #12
lasercut is offline lasercut  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Sorry that you have a jitter sensitive DAC - try another receiver circuit and enjoy the benefit of opto isolation!?

//
What do you think of andrea's solution for the I2S input on upcoming FIFO (input I2S isolator > LVDS over HDMI > output I2s isolator) in terms of isolation, good as opto?

The CMR of LVDS would make it more resilient to external RFI pickup I guess, maybe not quite opto level. Not sure about the isolation level of opto compared to some of the other digital isolator types.
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:00 PM   #13
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I use opto to distance any offending radiator by a meter rather than centimetres...

//
Old 4th April 2021, 01:01 AM   #14
totally analogue is offline totally analogue  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Recalling digital theory the optical fibre will introduce more jitter but any DAC worth it's salt will have re-clocker on the input so try both. Out of interest I tried the coax and optical feeds from my disc player into my Dac/amp. The optical sounded marginally cleaner but neither came close the analogue feed ;-)
Old 4th April 2021, 01:06 AM   #15
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Me readings you results in a nervous breakdown and I'm bringing back my Rega Planar 3 before my pills !
Old 6th April 2021, 03:27 PM   #16
Cney is offline Cney
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totally analogue View Post
Recalling digital theory the optical fibre will introduce more jitter but any DAC worth it's salt will have re-clocker on the input so try both. Out of interest I tried the coax and optical feeds from my disc player into my Dac/amp. The optical sounded marginally cleaner but neither came close the analogue feed ;-)
I think you are confused with noise. Toslink has 2 extra conversions going on which induces noise. Distance wise it reigns supreme yes.

If not is than BNC would be my choice. And I think many DAC manufacturers would agree. I know of a couple that prefer BNC over Toslink.
Old 8th April 2021, 05:03 AM   #17
raptorlightning is offline raptorlightning  United States
diyAudio Member

If you buffer and retransmit the signal (usually inside the DAC, if not with a little external hardware), then the source noise means nothing as long as you don't drop a bit due to extreme jitter/poor interconnects.

Reclocking in or at the DAC IC achieves this and so do SPDIF receivers like the WM8804 - FIFO buffers so the input and output clocks are as isolated as they can be.
  Reply to this post

Optical or Coax Input to DACHide this!Advertise here!