Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

USB - I2S interface for output and input
USB - I2S interface for output and input
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2021, 11:55 AM   #1
Kakur is offline Kakur
diyAudio Member

Default USB - I2S interface for output and input

Hello,
I want to build my own USB soundcard for Windows 10 with at least 384kHz/32 bit DAC, like PCM5102 or similar, and for at least 192kHz/24 bit ADC.

Now I have XMOS interface, which only supports output. I like XMOS, it sounds good, it has no noise, it works well with Windows 10, which I am using. But the problem is, that it has no input.

I have module with WM8782 ADC, which is 192kHz/24 bit ADC with I2S output. I don't know how to connect it to my computer. I was searching, I found interface CM6631, but I didn't found any module, which has wired input interface. Only output one. I also found that some guys overclocked it's output to 384kHz/32 bit, but I didn't found any modules or projects, that uses input and output interface. Do you know any? How can I use CM6631 as input?

Second chip I found is CM6635, which supports I2S input and output at 768kHz/32 bit, but I didn't found any datasheet or projects with it. Do you have any informations about this chip?

Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:45 PM   #2
MagicBus is offline MagicBus  Greece
diyAudio Member

I can't tell about CM6631/5 but if you are looking for ready modules, I have good experience with this XMOS Multichannel high-quality USB to/from I2S/DSD SPDIF PCB - DIYINHK and there is also this one MCHStreamer - USB Audio Swiss-Army knife - Multichannel PCM/DSD/PDM/ADAT/TDM/SPDIF interface but I haven't use it.
Old 22nd February 2021, 01:26 PM   #3
Kakur is offline Kakur
diyAudio Member

Hello,
thank you, I am looking at XMOS Multichannel, it looks good. So if I understand correctly, you can connect this module to your computer, it'll recognize it as speaker output and microphone input?
Old 22nd February 2021, 01:59 PM   #4
InspectorGadget is offline InspectorGadget
diyAudio Member

I would recommend the MCHStreamer over the DIYINHK. Bth are xmos based, but the minidsp offering is from a well used manufacturer that finds its place in numbers of OEM products. the same cannot be said for the DIYINHK offering. neither are top shelf designs, but the minidsp stuff (particularly their more recent products) is far more competent IMO.
Old 22nd February 2021, 02:00 PM   #5
InspectorGadget is offline InspectorGadget
diyAudio Member

I have and use their 2x4HD DSP and USB module. its been pretty solid.I used it directly for a while; with good success, the software is pretty good. i'm using its i2s out with external dacs, which was always my plan; not because I found it lacking after buying it.
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakur View Post
Hello,
thank you, I am looking at XMOS Multichannel, it looks good. So if I understand correctly, you can connect this module to your computer, it'll recognize it as speaker output and microphone input?

Correct! I guess the same should be true for the miniDSP module.
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:43 PM   #7
Kakur is offline Kakur
diyAudio Member

I have also found this module XMOS 32Bit 384kHz DXD DSD256 USB to/from I2S, to DSD/reclock SPDIF PCB - DIYINHK which is cheaper. Will it work also like regular soundcard?
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

From what I gather it takes both DAC and ADC I2S PCM up to 384kHz/32bit but then it says it outputs only 32bit regardless the input. Does this apply only to the DAC? Can it support your 24bit ADC? I suggest you better ask them to be sure.
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:55 AM   #9
Kakur is offline Kakur
diyAudio Member

And do you know some module with ADC 384kHz/32 bit?
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I never had a look on that, they should exist though. But generally speaking, an ADC is more tricky than a DAC to make it work as it is very likely to require I2C control and you will be pretty much alone with that. However, WM8782 seems to be a nice exception!
  Reply to this post

USB - I2S interface for output and inputHide this!Advertise here!