Cheap dac ?

Account closed
Joined 2010
Hi there.
I bought a little cheap d/a converter to try such a small cheap thing.
I opened it to see which chip was used but can't find that chip anywhere (it's probably a china thing)
Do some of you know what is behind the designation
PN1000
1948?

Pictures:

a.jpg

b.jpg

2.jpg

99399232-3087961257992033-5141747985629052928-n.jpg

bhbh.jpg

For what it's worth, I know ADCs that look exactly the same as your DAC except for the order of the words Digital and Analog. Those use a Cirrus Logic CS5340 and a Cirrus Logic CS8427. (They use the worst possible application for a CS5340, with no anti-aliasing filter anywhere, no input buffer and cheap class II ceramic capacitors in the signal path.)

Account closed
Joined 2010
For what it's worth, I know ADCs that look exactly the same as your DAC except for the order of the words Digital and Analog. Those use a Cirrus Logic CS5340 and a Cirrus Logic CS8427. (They use the worst possible application for a CS5340, with no anti-aliasing filter anywhere, no input buffer and cheap class II ceramic capacitors in the signal path.)

Yes I bought one too.
But I do wonder that you can buy 2 similar cheap D/A converters and one contains a CS8416 192 kHz digital audio receiver and a CS4344 24-bit, 192 kHz stereo DAC, the other having only a single (noname) chip/ic.
Can that one chip really do the same job? Data looks the same in terms of bit/kHz

Here´s a link to the other one there is similar except the chip/ic

Ferdinand Keil | What's inside a cheap TOSLINK, S/PDIF to Cinch adapter

Best cheap DAC may be the $10 Apple one: Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

However, its performance looks much worse if loaded with a headphone. Also, its 48kHz sample rate only, so Windows/Apple awful automatic real-time ASRC will be working overtime.

Don't know what the fascination is with such DACs myself.

EDIT: Regarding the Chinese dacs in earlier posts, some of the chips coming out of China are removed from old electronics junk and recycled. Some may be rebranded.

Last edited:
This one is made from recycled components, but is really good: Nobsound Mini HiFi Sound Card DAC TDA1387 USB 8X Audio Decoding Headphone Amplifier DTS/AC3 Coaxial Optical Digital Output|Headphone Amplifier| - AliExpress

Works very well on PC. In Foobar/SoX you can donwsample to 48KHz if required. USB powered, takes little power, so is compatible in most of phones. There is no better R2R sound on the road, I can tell you, as HPA is quite decent. I bought expensive FiiO E12A just to check whether it gives better sound. It does, but it changes sound signature of the DAC, the internal amp do not.

If not using as a DAC, it can work as USB to S/PDIF converter. :)

Best cheap DAC may be the $10 Apple one: Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Don't know what the fascination is with such DACs myself.
I bought this one
Cheap Bluetooth to DAC to 3.5mm out

I didn't know I was buying a bluetooth to DAC to 3.5mm analog out widget. when nothing happened at first I remembered there were no analog signals running thru the lighting connector. that's when I figured out what it was.

it works. I can't say it works well or it works poorly, just that it works. obviously at $9.55 delivered it's not going to be great LOL

Hello Mark,
it took several investigative steps to come to the conclusion.
I connected a 3.5mm aux cable to the device, and the device to my phone.
I heard nothing.
I connected a powered charge cable to the other port in the device, thinking ok maybe there's a DAC in here and it needs to be powered.
I heard nothing.
I pulled a hammer out of the tool box, paused, and put it back.
I heard nothing.
I flipped the device over and observed the bluetooth logo on the lighting connector.
I turned on the phone BT and detected a new, unknown device. I attached to this device and Voila! sound came forth from the stereo.

my conclusions are quite subjective and I hope this doesn't become a point of contention :D

I purchased this device because my iPhone 11 sounds like, well, "Butt", thru my current (and new) bluetooth and I wanted to take the BT out of the equation. to me the iPhone 11 doesn't sound as good as my old iPhone 5.

LOL bear in mind the hammer is still a valid option.
Mac

Account closed
Joined 2010
I know there a lot of cheap dac´s but it was more this PN1000 ic I was interested in.
I really want to find out if it does the same work as the other 2 ic's sitting in the dac which is quite similar.
A little weird thing is that there is no crystal.

The box for the 2 identical cheap dac's is pretty much the same but inside they look like this.
They have exactly the same data, the price is close to being the same.
So is a PN 1000 really a CS8416 192 kHz digital audio receiver and a CS4344 24-bit, 192 kHz stereo DAC in the same chip?

100590561-254425968997132-5409712554299621376-n.png

cs4344-spdif-dac-hires.jpg

What makes you think its Bluetooth? Probably just wired dac inside, without Bluetooth radio.

the temptation became too much, especially after i realized it was squishy i.e. not filled.
there's a 24 pin chip marked JL AS18AP1E776-7C4
that won't google, but JL AS18AP does. results are related to bluetooth.
three google steps later takes me to 珠海市杰理科技股份有限公司-珠海市杰理科技股份有限公司|杰理芯片 which has the same logo as shown on the chip.
the trail grows cold after that.
Mac