Ebay tda1543 cs8412

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Finally took delivery of this board.....took ages to come but was well packaged.

It has 2 lm317. Haven't measured but assume the reg for the tda1543 is at 5v, but will confirm.

I shall improve the psu side. I have a couple of XRK simple cap mx boards and also a couple L adapters signed up for. I am good with the PSU side.

However, I'd like to improve the output stage. It appears to employ a single resistor and cap per channel. Simple enough. Caps are 220uf Panasonic FC...the resistors I haven't yet removed to check value. Although I shall test it as shipped first to check it works.

I have had a good read around about this DAC chip and associated I/V and output stage. I find so many different values of R and for the filter...can a recommendation be made here for this board?

Am I right in thinking the value of the I/V R alters with DAC chip Vdd? I will initially stay at 5v but maybe would like to try upping the voltage. Is there a formula for working this R ?

And does this R value need to change if I stack multiple tda1543 on top.?

Thanks

...edit.

Got the IV wrong.....there are 1k R and some Epcos Film....unsure of values....so the FC and other R must be the DC blocking.

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
So it would seem 1kR is middle of the road for IV and Vref and these are the values on my board. So atleast the designer copied that bit correctly! I'll see what the voltage is set to as Dave Kimber says 5v isn't sufficient with a passive IV.

I must confess I can't yet see why a 5V supply cannot work with an 820R resistor to GND.

My math goes like this - perhaps you can spot my error:

The output compliance range is 1.8V to 3.8V with a 5V supply - that's a 2V swing.

Since the full-scale output current is 2.3mA the resistor needs to be 2/2.3mA which is 870ohm so choose the nearest lower value - 820ohm. This gives us 1.89V swing in practice.

To set the quiescent point mid-way between the compliance extremes means 2.8V. At the quiescent point the current through 820ohm is 2.8/0.82 = 3.4mA. The current through the controlled current source (to GND) will be 1.15mA so the fixed current source needs to produce the sum of these two currents which is 4.55mA. Half this is 2.28mA. The reference voltage is 2.2V hence we need a 2.2/2.28mA = 965ohm hanging from pin7.

Where did I slip up?

Well if my math isn't in doubt then @DF96's must be. Probably not his math though, perhaps an assumption too far - like assuming the controlled current source pulls 2.3mA at the quiescent point, that would do it as then the fixed current source can't deliver enough to maintain 2.8V on the output. Pure speculation though.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Checked the supply voltage and it is indeed regulated to 5v.

However I haven't managed to get any music out of it yet! And I removed the DC Jack and RCA connectors so I can't really send it back....hey ho.

Any easy tests I can do with a DMM? Powers up but that's about it. Have tried coax and opti....played with the switch....zip.

Power supplies are always the first thing I check - presumably you have 5V between pin4 and pin5 of the DAC chip. So do you have power on the CS8412?

With a DMM I don't think you can check for the presence of an S/PDIF signal, that would call for a 'scope. You can perhaps check for there being a WS - if your DMM responds to the average you can see if TDA1543 pin 2 has a 50% duty cycle squarewave on it. It should read half the CS8412's supply voltage (use DCV range, not ACV) when a valid signal is decoded by the CS receiver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.