Will This USB->I2S Module Work Well with AD1862?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

After being warmly recommended about the AD1862 DAC chip,
I ordered it, and would like to create a DAC from it.

My wish is to first bring it up to life ASAP,
so I would like to initially use some existing modules that can take out a part of the work on the PCB, (like the USB->I2S part, and later also Optical SPDIF->I2S part), and simply get them as ready-made modules.

This will enable me to create a working prototype faster,
and later on I can then also improve that part if needed.

So my question:

I found this nice module:

PCM2706 USB to I2S:

s-l500.jpg

PCM2706 USB to I2S daughter card Italy Amanero the same size | eBay

It costs 9$.

Will it work well with the AD1862 chip?

Thank you all

Last edited:
Last edited:
@rfbrw: heck you're right, I forgot at first the ad1862 was 20bit...
So I should forget about the AN-207 document?

Thanks, will check these options and choose one..

If you want to test the AD1862 in cheap way, you can do it with the "PCM2706 USB to I2S" from your first post. But you will need more as that.
In addition, you will need:
- I2S/PCM converter for 20-bit, you can take it from this schematic:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...1862-dac-headphone-amp-easydac_1-2_01_sch-jpg (all the 74HCT164D chips, 74HCT164N is DIP version of that chip)
- clean power supply for digital part (+-5V) (LM317/337 or 7805/7905)
- clean power supply for analog part (+-12V ... alternatively +-5V can be used) (LM317/337 or 7812/7912)
- active I/V (start with the basic opamp I/V), you can feed it from the DAC power supply for analog part
- use only high quality capacitors
- create double-sided PCB with solid GND, logically arrange the digital and analog parts so that they do not cross :D :D

Last edited:
Thank you all for the tips
miro1360: what a helpful list, really appreciate it.

Yesterday I thought about something..
Is there any chance someone here in DIYaudio has an AD1862 board (without the DAC chips) that he might want to sell?

For example because he created several iterations, and reached the highest level of sound he can get,
and then all previous boards are unused? and one of which I can buy..

I can check my house for the older version from diyinhk. But it comes without the DAC chips, without the I/V opamps and without power supplies.
I did something with the output I/V because diyinhk provided it with the output filters and if I remember right, I removed this filtering.
Can you get the I2S from ebay?

BTW another thing that I thought about..

In this current thread, I asked about USB->I2S,
but then was told that the AD1862 doesn't take I2S but something different, and hence the need for a conversion after getting I2s,
or, for the JLsounds module.

If I change my input requirement, from USB, to SPDIF Optical,
so Toslink->AD1862 (and not to I2S), is there a simple and good solution for that?
(that hopefully doesn't cost 63Euro...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.