Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Oversampled DAC without digital filter vs NOS
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2019, 05:42 AM   #1
ygg-it is offline ygg-it  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Oversampled DAC without digital filter vs NOS

There is a point that is not clear to me, since I did not have the opportunity to listen or test to any oversampling DAC without a digital filter.

If, we say, the main drawback of "oversampling" (vs. "NOS") is the use of the digital filter (for ringing and artifacts problems), is it possible to create an "oversampling" DAC without a digital filter, but still including a smooth analog filter?

If someone prefers the NOS sound, is the "oversampled DAC but without digital filter" sound competitive (still natural and musical, like NOS BUT much more detailed, live OS)?

Or, even tricky, if an analog reconstruction output filter design works good and enough with a NOS, would it sound better in a oversampled DAC (but without digital filter)?
Old 4th March 2019, 07:13 AM   #2
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

http://lavryengineering.com/pdfs/lav...g-aliasing.pdf

OS means some sort of interpolation (zero stuffing or more intelligent) - in there lies the challenge!?

//
Old 4th March 2019, 07:15 AM   #3
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

So, what device in your view would be appropriate to perform the oversampling? Or are you still going to design it?

(question is for the thread starter)
Old 4th March 2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Bill Coltrane is offline Bill Coltrane  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Using no reconstruction filter in any dac will result in audible artefacts not pressent in the original filter.

If you want "natural and musical" sound, you need a reconstruction filter.
Old 4th March 2019, 08:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Coltrane View Post
Using no reconstruction filter in any dac will result in audible artefacts not pressent in the original filter.

If you want "natural and musical" sound, you need a reconstruction filter.
Yes, but my original question was: can I do this filter (in an oversampled DAC) 100% in analog domain and not partially digital and partially analog like the most of oversampled DAC? How this sounds in comparison to NOS (with analog filter)?

Last edited by ygg-it; 4th March 2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 4th March 2019, 08:28 AM   #6
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
If you oversample but use no digital filtering at all, the primary advantage of oversampling (the ability to use a simpler analog filter) is lost. With no digital filter, oversampling must simply repeat the previous sample for the interpolated value(s) (zero order hold) and that's equivalent to no oversampling.
Old 4th March 2019, 08:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
If you oversample but use no digital filtering at all, the primary advantage of oversampling (the ability to use a simpler analog filter) is lost. With no digital filter, oversampling must simply repeat the previous sample for the interpolated value(s) (zero order hold) and that's equivalent to no oversampling.
But if I oversample n times without the digital filter, I can use a gentle analog filter cut much higher (with a cut off frequency n times higher than NOS). Or not?
Old 4th March 2019, 08:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Say you decided to repeat the previous sample 3 times, giving you an update rate of 4X the original. You've still got images which start at 24.1kHz because you've not removed those through use of digital filtering. Meaning you've got to build a very sharp analog filter to eliminate them, just as for NOS.
Old 4th March 2019, 10:19 AM   #9
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Say you decided to repeat the previous sample 3 times, giving you an update rate of 4X the original. You've still got images which start at 24.1kHz
I don't understand this. If your new sample rate is 4x why would you have such low images? Is this not the same as upsampling with respect to images?
Old 4th March 2019, 10:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

You only get to have your images at higher frequencies (which are always there, even with NOS) if you remove the lower freq ones with a digital filter. Simply repeating the same sample 3 more times doesn't do any image removal.

Oversampled DAC without digital filter vs NOSHide this!Advertise here!