Buffer the I2S signals on DAC

Hi
I'm planning to do a hack on my MiniDSP DDRC-24 to get SPDIF output. I will follow this guide: MiniDSP DDRC-24: MiniDSP DDRC-24: Modified To Output SPDIF - Album on Imgur in which the I2S data is taken from the input of the DAC chip on the DDRC-24 and send to a I2S to SPDIF converter. In the guide one I2S to SPDIF converter is used to provide SPDIF for channels 1 and 2. I would like to add another converter to also get SPDIF out for channels 3 and 4.

My question is: Is some sort of buffer needed to buffer the I2S signals when using 2 boards? And how would one go about doing that?

Which DAC's are used on DDRC-24, are they so bad? They are from AKM but which model? AK4616VQ codec maybe?
E: It seems to be using AK4626A codec (AK4626AVQ) with a 102dB SNR A/D and 106dB SNR DACs (obsolete part by now)

Could use also HDMI connectors and cabling though there aren't any standards for pin usage. It's quite a common practice though.
There are also some ready made modules you can find from Ebay for an example:

Receiver & transmitter: HDMI-compatible I2S Receiver IIS - HDMI Transmit Board Signal Conversion Decoder | eBay

Transmitter only: I2S to HDMI Module IIS I2S HDMI | eBay

Last edited: