ES9038 - power off option?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi all,

I am currently designing an ES9038 based DAC but would like to somehow stop the DAC chip from drawing any current at certain times - without disconnecting the power supplies from the mains.

One way of doing this could be to stop the ~ 100 MHz oscillator going to the ES9038. There is a "rumour" that this would stop the ES9038 from drawing any current - but before actually designing the DAC it would be great to know if this is actually the case.

Might I just be lucky that someone here by chance/accident/trial/something else have found out about this?

Cheers & thanks for insights (hopefully ;))

Jesper

It is unlikely that stopping the clock would prevent it from drawing *any* current. There would have to be enough circuitry active to detect if a crystal were to become connected. Also, there would probably be some AVCC current. So, strictly speaking the answer to your question is probably no. What would be the point, anyway? Stopped and powered off may have largely the same consequences, it might have to be 'reset' to get it going again.

Last edited:
There is a separate Q2M function called 'mute' that merely turns off the outputs, either leaving them at Vref level or bringing them down to ground. That is not the same as a power down state. If all power is removed, register settings will not be preserved. It takes at least some micro-power to keep such things in a known state. It isn't clear why the OP is asking about it, so there might be something that would work or maybe not depending on the particulars. If it would be a momentary time-out to swap batteries or something like that then Q2M would be a better choice to begin with. And, a very good dac can be made from Q2M, maybe the best one I have seen costing $4k - $5k. Takes a lot of expertise to make a dac at that level though.

Hi all,

I am currently designing an ES9038 based DAC but would like to somehow stop the DAC chip from drawing any current at certain times - without disconnecting the power supplies from the mains.

The closest you can get with Q2M is standby mode. Ground RESETB, XI and the I2S I/F and the chip will idle at 5mW. The odds are that the PRO can do something similar.

From the ES9038PRO blurb -
Clock gearing reduces MCLK frequency and saves power - the chip has 500 mW power consumption at 192 kHz sampling and 100 MHz MCLK - while advanced power management features enable a low-power idle mode when the audio signal is absent.

The closest you can get with Q2M is standby mode. Ground RESETB, XI and the I2S I/F and the chip will idle at 5mW. The odds are that the PRO can do something similar.

You know of course to have a legal copy of a data sheet for that you have to sign an NDA agreeing not to disclose proprietary information. Illegally obtained copies may involve copyright infringement, theft of intellectual property, etc., and reading off the contents in a forum may open one to liability for civil damages. Just sayin'

Also FYI, Q2M is designed for use in portable equipment such as cell phones. Can't say that for PRO. Unlikely to have something similar in that case.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.