Designing my own USB DAC and confused with the USB I2S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there

Now I'll tell you now that this is my first time designing my own DAC. I have done some stuff like designing my own Headphone amp and stuff. Now I have been looking at making my own DAC using a PCM1794A-Q1 from TI but have been struggling to find a dedicated USB to I2S converter. I'm not looking at using a premade one like Wave I/O but want to design my own PCB.

I have had a look but most of the ones I find are all only 48kHz. I did find the XMOS xhra-2hpa which has been discontinued. Any alternate chips that anyone has any experience with?

Regards
IceW0Lve

Most of the new chips require setup of firmware, maybe some programming. There is one in a thread here where firmware development is discussed including with some access to the software tools: CM6631 usb audio interface .... any good ? Looks like it may be at EOL, however. Could be the successor is very similar. Don't know about that.

Otherwise, you might try contacting XMOS application engineering, assuming they would be willing to talk to you. Maybe they could send you a couple of engineering samples and some application information on configuring firmware. You might have to execute an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) in order to get any information.

Last edited:
Thanx for all the replies. I will investigate the Symmetry Labs option as it seems a viable solution. While I do agree the PCM2707 is the simplest method, the main reason I was hoping to avoid the PCM2707 is that I was hoping to achieve a 24/96Khz system with support for 192kHz. That way the system may have extra headroom (Disclaimer I have no idea if this will affect the sound quality or not).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.