Toslink decoder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I have a thought and want to run it passed you guys. I am on a budget... (like you've never heard that before!) but also want to upgrade my HT.
My current setup has all my HDMI inputs to my 7yr old Mitsubishi TV. My old trusty HK AVR525 is fed from the optical out of the TV (running 5.1). I still love that receiver. It sounds great, has good power and has never let me down.
I'm currently starting a subwoofer build and would like some equalization and filters for it. While on that note, I could do that for at least the front channels as well. I am looking in to the PE Dayton DSP-408 (4X8) to accomplish this. The 525 does have discrete inputs.
My issue is that my TV only has optical out for surround sound. I would need a Toslink decoder between the TV and the DSP. There are a ton of them out there but they seem marginal at best without going high end $$$$. I'm looking for real world experience with any of them or suggestions.
Am I just trying to polish turds here? I love DIY and trying to make things work with what I have. It give one a sense of pride, and to me, makes it sound better. I know that sounds weird but I'm sure someone can agree with that.
Any help, suggestions or comments would be great! Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance!
Edit: I hope this is in the right spot. If not, I hope the mods could move it. Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.