Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Cambridge Audio 851 Series Upsampling DAC
Cambridge Audio 851 Series Upsampling DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Ian Greenhalgh is offline Ian Greenhalgh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Cambridge Audio 851 Series Upsampling DAC

Hi folks

I picked up one of these Cambridge Audio DAC boards dirt cheap, it's the main board found in all the 851 series products and contains a PSU, DAC and output stage:

Cambridge Audio 851 Series Upsampling DAC-cambridge-audio-azur-851c-dac-board-24-bit-384khz-jpg

Here is one in an Azur 851C:

Cambridge Audio 851 Series Upsampling DAC-05-851c-internal-1353577337-jpg

Because I'm just wanting to use it as a DAC, all the other circuit boards can be ignored as they are the servo/preamp circuitry and digital outputs. The only part I need to get my board working is the small power board, sadly the only supplier on ebay wants 70 ukp for one, so I'll have to build my own alternative:

Cambridge Audio 851 Series Upsampling DAC-l500-jpg

It looks a rather simple thing to me, I can see it has an EMI filter but I'm not sure what the other circuitry is for, I don't think it's a rectifier as the output from the transformer connects to a header on the main board.

I can't find schematics for either board, so it's all a bit of a guessing game right now, so any tips, adivce or suggestions are much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05.-851c-internal-1353577337.jpg (318.1 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (21.5 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Cambridge-Audio-Azur-851C-Dac-Board-24-Bit-384khz.jpg (179.5 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by Ian Greenhalgh; 19th July 2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10th January 2019, 04:56 PM   #2
lotsmorebetter is offline lotsmorebetter
diyAudio Member

I have limited experience with Cambridge Audio though I have modified their CD players from the 640 series to the 840 series players. Cambridge is consistent in their designs between models and when they make changes, it is not dramatic. Please remember that my experience is limited when I make this suggestion: find a schematic for the 840cd player (available on line) and use that as a basis for your design mods for the 851. It will be incomplete but it will give you an idea of how to proceed. You won't get to see a schematic for the 851c until it is a few years out of production.

Cambridge Audio 851 Series Upsampling DACHide this!Advertise here!