My Digital Audio Processor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

This is a follow-up to a thread that I started here: Why Design Another Sound System?

After working long years in analog, I was impressed by the offerings of a digital signal processor dedicated for audio applications.
I was fascinated by the possibilities of making a board and then re-programming it as many times as possible for the purpose of tweaking an application or using the same board for different applications.
It is the SigmaDSP which I have been on for some years now and have a matured board.
I am listing its features. I hope you guys like it.

- Digital audio Processor based on SigmaDSP platform that supports 2 Analog Inputs, 6 Analog Outputs (On board Stereo DAC for 2 additional outputs)
- On board 3.3V linear power supply (that supports 190V to 270V AC variation) for the processor, DAC and house keeping
- On board 9V linear power supply (that supports 190V to 270V AC variation) for media player that supports MP3, Flac, WAV, WMA through USB, Bluetooth and FM. The media player also has AUX input and comes with a small IR remote control
- On board interface for programming the DSP
- Front panel header (Front panel has 4 x Alps potentiometers, 1 Status LED and Universal IR Receiver. IR Rx is currently not used and is just a placeholder)
- Back panel header (Back panel has 2 x Analog Stereo inputs, SPDIF Co-axial/ Optical inputs that is jumper selectable. All the inputs are summed to form one composite Stereo Input)

Applications:
1. Stereo Audio Processor/ 2.1CH Stereo Audio Processor
2. 2.1CH Surround Sound Decoder and Post-processor
3. 2/3-Way Active Crossover
4. Audio Processor for PA Systems

Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• Enclosure Front.GIF
    Enclosure Front.GIF
    329.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Enclosure Back.GIF
    Enclosure Back.GIF
    355.3 KB · Views: 375
  • Enclosure Profile.jpg
    Enclosure Profile.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 370
  • Open Enclosure- Top View.jpg
    Open Enclosure- Top View.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 374
  • Back Panel- Looking from Front.jpg
    Back Panel- Looking from Front.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Front Panel- Looking from the Back.jpg
    Front Panel- Looking from the Back.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
This is an extremely interesting device you posted here!

Please clarify following things:

- Is there MP3 / FLAC / etc. music player included with kind of OS and flash memory for music files storage?
- Is there six analogue outputs ready for external amplifiers connection?
- Is there kind of USB connection to the PC and PC-based software for DSP programming included?
- Which external DAC did you use in the design?
- Does it support digital volume control?

- Please explain more about signal digital filtering on DAC's outputs and signal clocking routines. Can we have possibility to alter digital filters?
- Does it support balanced analog signal inputs / outputs if we tweak it's analog stages?

If answer is yes for most of these questions probably you did magnificent thing and hope the people here would understand and appreciate the effort.

Hello Windforce85,

I thank you for your interest in my project. Let me answer you questions. If I misinterpret it and if you feel that my answer is not relevant, let me know and I will give it another try.

- Is there MP3 / FLAC / etc. music player included with kind of OS and flash memory for music files storage?
Yes, music/ media player is included. It has a USB port and an SD Card port and can play songs placed in different directories. The supported format for the files is MP3, FLAC, WMA and WAV. The player has bluetooth 4.0 audio receiver which allows you to play audio from your smartphone. It also has FM receiver. The quality of the player is top class. It needs a 9V supply and I have made a provision for an isolated 9V supply on my processor board for a noise free performance. The player does not have storage space for music files. Music needs to be stored on your USB drive/ SD Card.
The player is a bought out item and can be purchased from here: 12 VDC Bluetooth 4.0 FM Radio MP3 WAV FLAC Audio Preamp Board with Function Cables and Remote

- Is there six analogue outputs ready for external amplifiers connection?

Yes, there are six analog outputs that you can connect directly to the amplifier.

- Is there kind of USB connection to the PC and PC-based software for DSP programming included?

Yes, there is programming interface provided that can interface to a programmer. Yes, there is a PC based software and it is free. However the programmer is a bought out item and is available here: EVAL-ADUSB2EBZ Evaluation Board | Analog Devices

- Which external DAC did you use in the design?

I have used PCM510X from TI

- Does it support digital volume control?

Yes, the processor supports volume control using either up/dn buttons or a dc control potentiometer. My front panel has 4 x potentiometers. One of them can be configured as a master volume control.

- Please explain more about signal digital filtering on DAC's outputs and signal clocking routines. Can we have possibility to alter digital filters?

The DACs built into the audio processor as well as the external DACs support R-C filtering and the same recommended scheme is used by me.

Clocking: The processor uses a 12.288MHz crystal as its clock source. It has a PLL built-in and generates all the other necessary clocks internally. The audio signal sampling can be anywhere from 44.1KHz to 192KHz.
The DAC is connected to the processor using the I2S port.

Using the PC based software, it is possible to program the processor as we like.

- Does it support balanced analog signal inputs / outputs if we tweak it's analog stages?

The processor has two ADCs built in. So it is possible to connect one balanced input signal.

The processor has 4 built-in DACs. I have added one external stereo DAC.
We can configure the application program to output complimentary signals to get 3 x balanced outputs.

Regards,

Ravindra.

It should be understood that the proposed hardware can be supplied so that the user can program his own applications using the programmer and the PC based software.

However, it is also possible that the processor can be supplied with a pre-programmed applications, by me, as listed in post #1 of this thread.

I have developed some wonderful applications and some interesting algorithms so the end user only has to connect it to the amplifier and use it.

I will be explaining some of my firmware/ algorithm developed when I explain how the proposed hardware can be used in the 4 applications listed in post #1

Regards,

Ravindra.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.