Time to *assemble* my first dac!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I realized something terrible!

My DAC (EAD DSP-7000) is the only part of my system I didn't build myself.

Shameful stuff...

Now I have to fix this.

My electronics knowledge is rather limited, so my plan isn't to build a DAC as much as to assemble one.

And this is where I need your advice!

Which existing boards should I look into? It can be from EBAY, a GB or anywhere else, as long as assembly is what's needed, and not extensive redesign or intervention in the boards itself.

I already have the JLsounds usb board with a linear PS, so that part is covered. I would prefer a tube \ OPT output stage, and that's something I can scratch build probably, but if there's a good kit for this I would love to hear about it also).

This means the DAC part and PS are the real issues.

Now, I don't care about DSD or Hi-res, I'm fine with a Redbook only DAC. My main focus is dynamics and musicality, which seem to always be a problem with digital audio (in my system at least)

I prefer NOS and R2R from what I heard so far. I did consider the Soekris DAM but I find the reviews on it rather inconsistent and the lack of true NOS capability is also a turn off.

So what do you guys think? Can you help me assemble a DAC like Lego?

Thank you!
Tank out

There is cheaper version with Transient Dac1 and current output, so you can make a tube IV.

I couldn't find that on the website you gave me, but I'll look into it.

Another couple of option I've been exploring is the DAC END (or one of its later version). I saw there was a GB here in the past, and read about it on Andrea Ciuffoli's website.

A friend of mine build the original DAC END on a perf board with a tube output stage, I heard it once and was very impressed by the result! This friend offered me the DAC he built (without the output stage) but I would prefer to re-build it on a dedicated PCB.

Tank out.

Ok, I've done a lot of reading to catch up on this subject.. And while there's a lot more I know, i have just as many new question :rolleyes:

First of all, I still think something based on TDA1541 would be the best option for me, but ill consider any R2R kit as long as its NOS (chip or discrete). So naturally, I should look at AD186X, PCM63, PCM1704, and so on.

Second, I've looking into Ian's FiFo board which I find very interesting. If i understand things right, I can use the FIFO board as a receiver chip and clock and hook it up straight to the DAC chip via I2S. Did I get this right?

So this again leaves me with the DAC part...

I've tried to figure out the "ultimate NOS dac" thread by ECdesigns but its way to long at this point. I couldn't figure out if any boards exist that were "born" in the thread. I did come across the Red Baron Board, which I think is related, but I read bad things about its layout, and it doesn't seem to be available any way.

Another option I came across was a PCM63 board by TentLabs, but I need to further read on it figure out if it might work for me.

So with the JLsounds usb board as input, going to the FIFO board, and a tube output.. I would love to get recommendation for the missing link - the DAC part.

Thank you all!
Tank out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.