Ebay USB DAC board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ad744 is a very good one, can get them on a dual adapter on eBay, they typically sell them as "opa627", sound great for $12.
The ad827 is supposed to sound pretty good with the ak4495, according to another trusted source.

I have ordered one of these DAC boards, should be here in a couple weeks or so. It looks like it has better regulation than many of the boards, should be interesting to hear how it sounds. There are some huge long threads for the ak4399 dual boards, am surprised to not see a thread for these boards, until now that is... I have a pretty good stash of capacitors, and diodes for upgrading here, but am looking forward to listening for a while before tearing into it.

I also have ordered one of the "audiofeel" discrete op amps coming to try out with it, is a fet input.
Haven't found any reviews of these, is an unknown commodity. This one even comes with a schematic and parts list, haven't seen that before in the case of discreet op amps.

Found this on Ebay: Assembled XMOS U8 + AK4495SEQ + AD827 DAC USB Decoder Board | eBay
Is this DAC a good choice...?
Does anybody use it?
Are there better DACs within this budget?

Hi Daniel,

I have been using the same for a month or so. Works really well.
Just add a suitable transformer and software drivers (if Windows PC) and that's it.
I got the transformer from Audiophonics and the drivers from internet.
Just a minor glitch: an annoying loud click just when you play the first track with the amp on.

Jacques

Well the board has arrived, still waiting for the transformer though.
It looks like the usual grab bag of not so bad capacitors, decent soldering, and some fairly large looking diodes for the bridges.
The capacitors in the output filter around the op amp have some markings that don't match the values of what is in place. I will try and get a picture of the layout and try to compare with other's.

Hopefully the transformer will arrive soon, and I can actually try it out.

I don't suppose there's a schematic around for these boards?

This is what I used: transformer link from France can give some clues for the secondaries. Primary will not fit US mains.

Yeah, the listings say what the voltages are and a surprising spec of 15w of 15-0-15 and 10w each of 9vac, so i was wondering.

here in the US i could just use a pair of 25va toroids from antek at $11/ea.

But a single toroid or r-core would be preferable.

Last edited:
That's the one that should be headed my way also.

Wasn't able to get a schematic from the seller, but I just about have it drawn up here.
The different values I had seen were in snubbing-type of position, so I'm not as concerned about mixed up parts as I was before. Still plan to put the circuit into a simulation to see if I can compare it to the one that AKM recommends.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.