Digital NR device for eliminating system background noise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An idea just popped into my head and I thought I would see if anyone has ever heard of such a thing...

I was wondering if there was a device which would have the ability to sample the analog background noise ("hiss") a sound system produces by taking a sample - basically, analyzing the signal with no music playing for X number of seconds, perhaps even with options like "Quick Sample" or "Long Sample" - and then, in much the same way as other noise reduction techniques, remove it digitally.

It could even have individual programmable presets to use with different analog sources since each source would probably have its own unique noise signature.

I'm not actually looking for or even need such a device. I was more or less just curious if something like it actually already existed or if it could even be DIY. On second thought, it almost sounds like the old dbx noise reduction system except in this case you are doing the encoding yourself based on the unique background distortion of your own equipment. I don't know. I was just curious. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.