High power DDDAC power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have started a thread dealing with the need for more power as the Dac board count goes up.

Even more important now with the Tent shunt option, the boards consumes 200 MA.

I am running 2 banks of 15 pre tent Dac boards and I am using the circuit attached which can be made using the DDDAC power supply board, but using the extra components shown on attached circuit. Max power 4.5A.

The heat sink used for the TIP122 transistor now goes to the rectifier position to cope with the extra dissipation.

I have drawn the circuit using EAGLE so if you want the original file, let me know.

The reliability is good. I have kept the Dac powered permanently with no problems :)

Attachments

• DDDAC Power supply (from AHF Home).pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 330
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The pdf files provided by lundahl will show you how to connect the chokes. In the past I did post some links to the jac music website that did have some additional information about using these chokes. The current running through these chokes can be bigger than the one mentioned in the files once the ac voltage across the choke is lower. And it IS considerably lower because power supply voltage is low and when used in CLC topology a voltage is even lower. I am using ll2733 ( special model with more mH and lower current rating)for choke input in what lundahl calls common mode and it works perfect.
I don't know if a regulated power supply, followed by another regulator and then finally a shunt regulation would be the way to go.
In the past some people did prefer a two choke power supply and no pre regulation for the shunt.
I don't know., did not try that one.
I know so far for me choke input has been the way to go. Several people did go for the biggest ( biggest number of mH) closest to the rectifier. ( has been confirmed by lundahl)
Greetings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
It seems interest for the dddac is slowing down. What a pity!
I think the easiest and biggest changes can be made in the power supply.
Modifying the printed boards is to much of a hassle.
Will be back in my country end of this week and will fire it up again.
Have no more ideas how to improve my dddac.
Planning to add an Aurender device. Everyone tell me it is better than using cd,'s as a source.
Greetings, Eduard

I have started a thread dealing with the need for more power as the Dac board count goes up.

Even more important now with the Tent shunt option, the boards consumes 200 MA.

I am running 2 banks of 15 pre tent Dac boards and I am using the circuit attached which can be made using the DDDAC power supply board, but using the extra components shown on attached circuit. Max power 4.5A.

The heat sink used for the TIP122 transistor now goes to the rectifier position to cope with the extra dissipation.

I have drawn the circuit using EAGLE so if you want the original file, let me know.

The reliability is good. I have kept the Dac powered permanently with no problems :)
Have you completed dddac psu?
How is it's performance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.