ALL digital DSP (in & out)... What are the options?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm very slowly exploring the potential of http://www.st.com/content/st_com/zh/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/mcu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-nucleo/nucleo-f767zi.html.

That board has the potential for:
- SPDIF in, I2S in, Async USB in,
- sofware DSP (using outputs of Charlies ACD tools :)
- up to 4 stereo channels (I2S or SPDIF).

But no cool configuaration tool à la MiniDSP. Only C code (which as a tradeoff gives access to all the hardware features).

My objective is to have an operational USB=>Soft DSP=> 2 SPDIF stereo channels.

I propose this just in case you love those types of things and would be happy to investigate that option. This is for sure not the shortest path.

JMF

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
1) Doesn't accept external master clock
2) No ASRC bypass
3) No native 192kHz support.

1) If all units are fed the same spdif signal over toslink and the units themselves are not random generators, their frame synchronicity should be enough to create a stable stereo image - no?

2) Truncation/calculation errors audible?

3) Do we really need 192?

//

1) If all units are fed the same spdif signal over toslink and the units themselves are not random generators, their frame synchronicity should be enough to create a stable stereo image - no?

2) Truncation/calculation errors audible?

3) Do we really need 192?

//
1,2) It is not about stereo image, but yes if there are different clocks my tweeter may be ahead or behind of mid-range due to ASRC. Probably not by a lot, but still can. Spending considerable amount of efforts to clock everything from one clock source (DAC) it sounds less then optimal solution.
3) If DAC itself is NOS than 192 is better. And also - why not? If my PC can do it without an effort, why should I us inferior solution that will cost me $1300 more?

Last edited:
1,2) It is not about stereo image, but yes if there are different clocks my tweeter may be ahead or behind of mid-range due to ASRC. Probably not by a lot, but still can. Spending considerable amount of efforts to clock everything from one clock source (DAC) it sounds less then optimal solution.
3) If DAC itself is NOS than 192 is better. And also - why not? If my PC can do it without an effort, why should I us inferior solution that will cost me $1300 more?

Audio at 192kHz is NOT superior in any way to audio in other sample rates.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.