affordable dsp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap active filter for my electrostatic loudspeaker and magnetic woofer. (2 way system) I think it will be the easiest option to go active and I'm considering ditigal. I've read about MiniDSP which seems an affordable system.

I'm just not sure how sound quality is affected by this system. I don't have my own seperate ADC / DAC so for simplicity I prefer the integrated ADCs / DACs. Would they make an audible difference compared to for instance a simple op-amp based active filter?

I'm aware of the 2x4 HD version which has a digital input, but if I want to use an analog source like a turntable the signal still has to be converted multiple times. Would that be audible?

As long as the benefits of dsp filtering outweigh the disadvantages I will be happy with the compromise.

The 2x4 also has a set of stereo, analog inputs. Note that the 2x4HD doesn't have a volume button, so you'll have to get a remote to do volume adjustment and source selection. For a turntable, you'll still need a RIAA. Theoretically, you can do the RIAA eq in the dsp, but you'll have to amplify the signal a good deal to make it useable first. It's simpler to just get a RIAA for the job.

Johan-Kr

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I decided to go "one way": I just keep using my electrostatic loudspeaker without the addition of a woofer.

But I still need do damp the resonance at 50 Hz because it creates a very frustating distorted sound and I want to do some equalizing as well. (shelving filter)

What would be a cheap and good solution? I'm considering minidsp 2x4 or 2x4 hd, would the hd version give different sound quality or would sound quality be equal to the 2x4 version?

I would think I don't need the extra time domain functionality of the hd version as I decided to go "one way".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.