SMSL M8 displays 44.1 kHz USB when playing a 24/98-kHz music file

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Situation: Using an Intel I3 processor based laptop running Windows 7 connected to an S.M.S.L. M8 DAC via one of the USB ports on the laptop. Installed the software that came on the mini disk supplied with the M8 DAC. Admittedly, I am a plug and play type person and as such, push buttons and activate things without really knowing what I am doing...my hat is off to those of you that do. I must have done something right as Foobar2000 shows up on the desktop. I purchased and downloaded a couple of 24/96 kHz FLAC music files. I pointed Foobar2000 to the folder with the files and hit play. The M8 DAC feeds a headphone amp and I get music and it sounds good. I also downloaded the same music file in the standard CD format (16/44.1 kHz.?) I was curious to see if I could hear a difference between the two. I looked at the file sizes to make sure that one was larger than the other. After verifying that I indeed had two different file sizes I moved one of the files into an entirely different folder to eliminate the possibility of unwittingly pointing Foobar to the same file. Both files play, I get music in the headphones, but the M8 always shows 44.1kHZ USB no matter what file I play?? I was expecting to see at least 48kHz or 96kHz or something bigger than 44.1kHz. I could be mistaken. Note: I found a program called Spek which will show you the spectral content of the music file, it's free, it displays the spectral content, and better yet displays in plain old English the bit depth and sampling rate of the file in a banner across the top of the graph. It definitely shows that the 24/96 kHz file has the data in the upper frequencies compared to the 16/44.1kHz. There you have it. Any ideas? Also has anyone ever got the M8 to work with a Linux machine, specifically Linux Mint 17.3-Mate. I realize that it takes time and effort to respond to these types of inquiries so thanks in advance to those who do take the time to answer the helpless, whether this particular issue gets a response or not.

BINGO! That worked. Thanks for the quick reply. Never used that page before. I assumed that when an audio file was sent out through a USB port that the audio card was bypassed. Regardless of how the files are processed your suggestion worked and the change in audio is very prominent. Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.