Trying to find a DAC w/ high Vrms output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to find myself a decent USB DAC that outputs a relatively high output voltage.
I've currently got a Hifime U2 Sabre asynchronous cheapy DAC, which works pretty good actually, but it doesn't have QUITE enough jam for my application.. It lists its Vrms output as 2.1Vrms. I'm looking for something with a tiny bit more output.. Ideally I'd like to find something that outputs 2.5Vrms - 3Vrms.. I'm running into an amp that is not very sensitive.

I found the Hifime USB 9018D HiFime 9018D USB DAC Which lists its output at 3Vrms, but this product apparently has an issue with its USB connector and so they've stopped sale of this particular model.

Anyways, I've been hunting around, and almost everything outputs a max of 2 - 2.1Vrms.

I did find this Chinese 9018 based DAC on ebay.. Newest Grade ES9018 USB DAC Xmos USB Asynchronous Audio Decoder Support DSD | eBay Which looks nice to me, and lists its output as 2.5Vrms
How does this DAC look? I'm a little leary of some sort of unbranded Chinese product.. But it does look really nice to me.

Any suggestions for a decent DAC that can do what I'm after? I don't think I'd want to spend more than about $200 - $300..

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Does your DAC have an analog filter at the output, or an I/V converter? Just a couple of resistors to change. After all, this is diyaudio!

BTW, the difference between 2.1 and 2.5 is not so much, just a tiny change in your vol control.
I mean, is your vol control at max when you listen? No? Then you're chasing a non-issue.

Jan

Does your DAC have an analog filter at the output, or an I/V converter? Just a couple of resistors to change. After all, this is diyaudio!

BTW, the difference between 2.1 and 2.5 is not so much, just a tiny change in your vol control.
I mean, is your vol control at max when you listen? No? Then you're chasing a non-issue.

Jan

It's a tiny little plastic encased DAC.. I haven't considered opening it up.
This is the DAC I currently have: http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/U2-DAC

And yes, I'm maxing out my volume. It's an amp I built, and for a few reasons its sensitivity is pretty low, and I don't want to run with a preamp. I'm so close to having the amount of signal I need, that I'd love to be able to just get a bit more signal from the DAC.
To drive to full power I'm looking at needing 6.8Vp-p, which translates to 2.4Vrms.. I figured 2.5Vrms is a good spec to go for. It obviously is something that exists in the DAC world, just not overly common.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find myself a decent USB DAC that outputs a relatively high output voltage.

<snip>

Anyways, I've been hunting around, and almost everything outputs a max of 2 - 2.1Vrms.
why do you assume its the DAC? clearly the specs are telling you to look harder.
Consider your source or amplifier perhaps they are not up to snuff.
I'd say your issue is some software setting on the source.
trouble shoot your system more w/o reaching for the buy button. LOL

I don't think I can eek anymore gain out of my driving stages.. I don't have any feedback in the amp to adjust.

It sounds so good that I don't want to modify my amp. It's very close to being enough gain.

It's a tube amp, and I need roughly 360Vp-p to reach max power for the power stage. My first gain stage amplifies the signal by a factor of 8, and the stage after that amplifies the signal by a factor of about 7.
So with 2Vp-p of signal I have 16Vp-p after the first stage, and 112Vp-p after the second stage.
I've measured this with a 2Vp-p 1Khz sine wave on the input.

My current source is a computer connected to the DAC I have which outputs a max of 2.1Vrms. This is 5.9Vp-p. So with the source cranked, I'm getting 47Vp-p out of the first driving stage, and then 329Vp-p out of the second stage. Very close to what I need.

Just a tiny bit more signal and I can push the amp right to its limit. 2.4Vrms or 6.8Vp-p would yield 380Vp-p.
I've also measured this (with my scope) with a 7Vp-p 1khz sine wave on the input of the amp.

I ended up getting one of those Hifime 9018D dacs, they sold one to me at a discount because of the issue with the USB connector. As long it isn't constantly being disconnected / connected over and over again, the usb connector is fine though. This will be set up in a fixed location, so it won't be an issue.

It lists it's max output as 3Vrms, so it will be interesting to see how it ends up working out.

As for this comment
trouble shoot your system more w/o reaching for the buy button. LOL

Any changes I would make to increase gain in my driving stage of this amp would result in some fairly major work, ie) different tubes / supporting hardware.. So that would also mean reaching for the buy button :p.
The new DAC seems like an interesting option to me. I'm not particularly attached to my existing DAC anyways.

What's so wrong with just wanting a bit more signal?....

Last edited:
As others have said, the DAC is not the problem and the voltage increases you will get are not really appreciable.
However, if you stick with this path you might consider a step up transformer. Beware, you will need to consider whether the impedance reflected through the transformer will work in your application (otherwise a buffer may be called for).

As usual, one thing leads to another.
Good luck

As others have said, the DAC is not the problem and the voltage increases you will get are not really appreciable.
However, if you stick with this path you might consider a step up transformer. Beware, you will need to consider whether the impedance reflected through the transformer will work in your application (otherwise a buffer may be called for).

As usual, one thing leads to another.
Good luck

Why wouldn't a DAC that can output a larger amount of voltage swing accomplish what I want?.. I don't get it..

Even if you found a DAC with 40-50% more voltage, that would only be an increase of 3 dB or so. If you are already turning the system up all the way, then this increase will not be appreciable.
Are you listening at insane levels, or do you have inefficient speakers?

Yea, I realize it would only be a minor increase. I just like the idea of being able to push the amp to its limits.

Anyways, I think we can stop trying to find a solution here.. I did buy that DAC that can output 3Vrms, so once it gets here I'll compare it to my existing one, and see which setup I like better.

Hey guys, just thought I'd post a follow up to this thread.. The HifimeDIY 9018D DAC that I ordered arrived, and it provides a strong enough signal to drive my amp to full power now.. The 3Vrms output leaves a little bit extra on tap for me.

Actually a very nice DAC, very happy with the sound I'm getting.

Some of the not that main stream online DACs sound great smooth detailed analog goodness, lots of ins some balanced with phone amp and pre amp capabilities. Mine is 90db 2 volts which is plenty using a large high current a/b amp 550va, 89db tower speakers. I never have to press it even near the perimeter of distortion its plenty loud with 2.0 volt output. double balanced.

“Matrix Mini-I refreshed and taken to the next level” - Maxvla’s Review of Matrix Mini-I Pro
Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 24-bit/384kHz DSD DXD DAC & Headphone Amplifier A slick design with a wide array of features, and most importantly, at the right price. Review By Matej Isak

Hey guys, just thought I'd post a follow up to this thread.. The that I ordered arrived, and it provides a strong enough signal to drive my amp to full power now.. The 3Vrms output leaves a little bit extra on tap for me.

Actually a very nice DAC, very happy with the sound I'm getting.

Good to hear, whats your opinion while using phones if you do so? Pretty good looking box HiFime 9018D USB DAC

But what is an "audiophile grade chip set does that stamp of marketing approval help boost performance some how or other.

Good to hear, whats your opinion while using phones if you do so? Pretty good looking box HiFime 9018D USB DAC

But what is an "audiophile grade chip set does that stamp of marketing approval help boost performance some how or other.

I'm not using it with phones.. I don't have a very good pair to be honest. Very happy with it with my system though.

One thing to keep in mind is that they stopped selling this model because of a weak usb connector in the chassis. Continuous unplugging and plugging in can potentially break the small usb connector in the DAC.
Not really an issue for me as I don't plan to ever unplug the USB cable.

Anyways, they DO still have them available even though it shows as being not in stock, and they WILL still sell it to you, but you have to email them and specially request that they do so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.