MiniDSP USBStreamer + DIYINHK AK4490 dac multichannel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am looking to build a multichannel DAC and seek advise about possible pitfall. I would like to play DSD and Flac 5.1 music files.

The idea is the following :

1. Minicomputer running Foobar or equivalent (Ex :Minix Neo Z64 with Window or Linux).

2. MiniDSP USB streamer - got multichannel I2S output at reasonable price

3. 3 AK4490 DAC from DIYINHK for 5.1 audio. (Was also looking at the ES9018 but seems a bit more difficult and a bit more expensive to optimize the sound).

I will need an Arduino board for controlling the DAC. HIFIduino have some nice example on is site.

Will I need a buffer for the I2S line between the USBstreamer and the 3 DAC ?

Any comments / suggestion would be appreciate.

I just find an partial answer to my question in another post ; According to MiniDsP devteam :
«For a simple 2 dac connectivity sharing the MCLK/SCLK/LRCLK, it won't be a problem. It's quite typical on a board to share the clock line. Keeping the signal integrity is what you should care about. Even if you were to have a buffer for each clock, if you're not careful about signal integrity and proper clock termination on your DAC board, that's where it "could" affect your jitter. Hoping this clarifies. »

Hopefully, it will also work for 3 DAC if I am careful.

Other point : I have look a several post, other project and alterntive like the Oppo 105 player which can be use as a network player and DAC for multichannel music.

The Oppo cost 1600$ cdn and is out of my budget. Hopefully, this project will be more affordable.

I had the same thoughts some time ago but I ended up using ADAT firmware on USBStreamer and buying an used 9-channel professional ADAT converter:
- job done under 100 USD.
- jitter much better because I used the ADAT clock as master for USBStreamer.
- can use much longer distance between the PC and audio outs because ADAT lightpipe could be run over greater distance compared to USB and/or I2S connections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.