If you use the SPDIF/coax output of your DAC, and plug into the SPDIF/coax input of

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a second DAC, which DAC is being used? DAC1, DAC2, or some weird frankenstein DAC made of DAC1 + DAC2?

I ask because I use my Yamaha a/v receiver as a headphone amplifier, and I connect the SPDIF/Coax out of my DAC to the SPDIF/Coax in of the receiver. But the receiver has its own DACs and I'm wondering if I'm listening to the receiver's DAC or the original DAC?

A DAC does not have an SPDIF output. It may have an SPDIF input. The output is analogue and therefore not SPDIF. I suppose some DACs may have an SPDIF loopthrough, but I suspect this would be rare as it seems pointless.

The DAC you are using is whichever DAC has its analogue output connected to you amplifier and speakers.

I suspect you are not doing what you think you are doing?

This the DAC. PD05 XMOS+PCM5102+¹ú°ë¶¥¼¶¶ú·ÅÇý¶¯ ±ãЯUSB DAC+¶ú·Å-Ð趨ÖÆ-ÌÔ±¦Íø

It sounds horrible using its built in amplifier (well, not horrible, but really insufferably bright) so I need to amp it. My best amp is my yamaha 5.1 a/v receiver. I know that if I connect the headphone out of my DAC (call this DAC1) to the left/right RCA in of my receiver, then I'm hearing the DAC of DAC1. However, what if I use the SPDIF/coax out of DAC1 (the red plug you see in the pic) to connect to the SPDIF/coax input of the receiver? Am I hearing DAC1's DAC, or the Yamaha receiver's DAC?

Edit: The coax and headphone output of my DAC are clearly different, and I think the coax output of DAC1 is not sending analogue information, because if I use the coax out of DAC1 then my receiver knows what bits/hertz are being sent (my receiver shows the bitz/khtz/channels of each input e.g. it says 2 channels 24bit 96khz or 2 channels 16 bit 44khz or whatever, depending on what I set the DAC to) but if I use the headphone out, that information is not sent to the receiver and so the receiver doesn't say what bit/khz is being used.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.