Ultimate multi-channel DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks... I'm still interested in pursuing this project.
Some key requirements:
1. USB3.0 input (if possible)
2. Automatic PCM / DSD Switching (native DSD support)
3. Remote control for power, volume and mode selection
4. Upto 24bit/192kHz and if possible 32bit/384kHz sampling
3. Fully-differential through-out and Balanced outputs
5. Ultra-low Noise, Jitter and Cross-talk
6. USB ground isolated galvanically from the DAC and the analogue circuits
7. Digital subsystem powered independently and isolated galvanically from the rest of the board.
8. separate Quartz oscillators for (44.1, 88.2, 176.4, and 352.8 kHz) and (48, 96,192 and 384kHz) and another Quartz oscillator as reference master clock with 0.13ps precision for D to A conversion.
9. Need not have internal power transformer - feed DC power using external adapter style transformers.
10. Power Cleaning Stages
11. Best quality components (Nichicon etc) through-out, gold plated XLR or miniXLR outputs.
12. Sound quality, THD, Noise etc should all be unassailable

Who all are with me on this?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Did this project die?

Not to me :)

I found the Motu AVB 8A or 16A (name tells u the channels)
They cost 800/1600 bucks and use the ESS Sabre32, top of the top.

Does anyone know if theres a better one?
I checked the top line of Antelope. U can pay triple but measures worse.
Also checked top line of Apogee. Same chip, same values.

Seems like the winner to me ??

cheers
Josh

For those looking for an inexpensive multichannel alternative, you can put together an 8-channel 24-bit/48kHz DAC that also has 8 channels of ADC using a USB ADAT interface and a Behringer ADA8200. Costs about $300-$325. The USB ADAT interface I use is the miniDSP USBstreamer. If using it under Linux you must first connect it to a Windows PC to set up the firmware for ADAT operation. It's otherwise just plug and play USB.

The ADA8200 and the USB ADAT interface are connected by Toslink lines, so there is zero interference from the computer (e.g. USB bus noise, ground loops, etc.).

I have Motu 1248, the sabre32 is 9016 not the audiophile 9018 (now replaced with the 9028).

I have an Exasound E28 (sabre32 9018) and it's clearly better to motu sabre32 1248.

I have motu 1248 only to play and record the test signal for my software Acourate. Once I am glad with the corrections, I switch to my E28 dac for the best SQ.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Sorry Pompom, its not worth the money.
At first sight i thought oh nice, another view dB lower noise+distortion.
But then i noticed, the analouge stage got 4 times the resistance and third of the voltage.
Noise gets lower in higher resistance by nature. But its not a big gain.
As you drive your amps with with weaker signal, in real world application it will have lower SNR efficiency in the total sum of your chain as the low voltage is weaker to outside interferance.

The Motu has better power there, plus an extra tolerance for shitty cables.
Overall, if they were the same price and i was blind (nice aluminum case i admit!), id give it a try, but still have doubts. When I see 5 times the price, holy ****, go away!
This is really more an "audiophiles" device... And thats not meant in a good way :)

Likely the chip itself may have potential, but not in that device!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.