about DoP and SR conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,
I have two questions that I still couldn't manage to find an answer, hopefully some of you would be happy to help my out.

1- about Dsd Over Pcm.
I wonder if is just a communication protocol between the computer and the I2S interface, or if it relates also the DAC being used.
I can't see any mentions of "DoP' in any of the datasheets of any DAC chip, so apparently the only thing that has to be DoP "ready" should be the USB to I2S board right?
If so, are there any -even minimal- loss in audio quality when using DoP instead of native DSD stream?

2- about sample rate conversions.
I once connected a £1 "toy" dac to my computer and was really strange to see that I was able to play 192khz files without very noticeable effects or noises - I mean, obviously it couldn't sound worse than before-. I guess some kind of down-conversion is happening, but is it in realtime? and where is this happening?

these are two things that have been tormenting me for a bit!

I'm now about to finish my Combo384-Opus 8741- IVYIII DAC, is my first DAC ever and I'm so excited to have it to work with LCD and everything.

There actually would be a third question, a bit OT:
I'd really like to use some kind of wooden housing for my dac, and using aluminium foil bricolage to shield each part of the circuit.
is it going to create weird capacitances around the circuit sections?
would be the best, as I don't have any tools or ideas how to get a proper metal case done.

Thanks in advance for any answer!
A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.