Which USB to I2S XMOS interface?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are a few USB to I2S interfaces now available using the XMOS chip. Here are the ones I can see. There may be others. I excluded the CM6631A interfaces because I have a Mac Mini as source and I believe it has issues with OSX. So I'd like to get one of the XMOS ones, but which one?

Can you give your experiences and recommendations?

diyinhk
XMOS 384kHz high-quality USB to I2S PCB with ultralow noise 6.5uV regulator | eBay diyinhk
XMOS 384kHz high-quality USB to I2S PCB with ultralow noise 6.5uV regulator - DIYINHK diyinhk
1) Newest XMOS chip and uses 48MHz oscillator to asynchronous reclock usb audio data to I2S line, old XMOS uses only 13Mhz oscillator, over 4x better jitter rejection theoretically.
2) 6.5uVrms Ultralow noise linear power regulator (use of decade old LM317/1117 regulator is kidding for audiophile)
3) Solid ground plane (a must for high speed digital circuit)
4) No Via in active circuit (via inductance always create jitter problem)
5) FOX ultra low ppm oscillator and Murata capacitor sourced from Digikey USA (guarantee no fake product from China)
6) Gold plate USB connector (Molex, FCI, or other depends on stock)
7) Compact size 50mm x 30mm
8) PCB is USB powered(default). Diyer expert can remove FB1 and use 5V external power connect to CN1(warning: over-voltage or reverse-voltage can damage the xmos chip immediately, any modification void item warranty)
9) Extreme diyer can cut and install series resistor in the pre-allocated 0805 footprint space in the I2S line to match their DAC line impedance
No drivers needed for MAC OS version 10.6.4 and above

Edel
USB Audio interface | ABC PCB ABC PCB
The Edel USB to I2S/SPDIF interface is an easy to integrate OEM solution for High End USB audio playback systems, supporting both USB Audio Class 1.0 and 2.0. USB streaming is based on an asynchronous protocol, clocked by low jitter on board oscillators. Using this concept, the design benefits of a local high quality master clock to achieve jitter-free playback and bit-perfect data transfer.
External master clock synchronization is provided for enhanced flexibility and optimal clock distribution. Full galvanic isolation avoids any interference issues between the audio device and the USB host. Critical components are powered by an external source to ensure optimal performances. The interface can also be configured to use bus power only, useful for using the board as a simple USB to S/PDIF mobile interface.

JLSounds
I2SoverUSB - I2S over USB Audio XMOS 500 MIPS processor I2S over USB Audio
- Input for external master clock
- Galvanic isolation (outputs, two oscillators and reclock are after the isolator)
"Things are in the right position, doing the right job".

zoe_tsang
XMOS USB to coaxial, fiber optic I2S 384K USB DAC lcm | eBay zoe_tsang £33
XMOS USB Audio Class 2.0 is supported by Apple OSX version 10.6.4 and above - no driver install required

lubaka Sofia
XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB to I2S / SPDIF PCB DAC PCM5102 | eBay

MiniDSP
USBStreamer | MiniDSP USBS streamer XMOS $105
http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief - USBstreamer.pdf USBS streamer datatsheet

Last edited:
I have. The dac is embarrassingly good compared even to my overbuilt Buf3. Obviously not better, but 50 grams against 20kg is just not a fair comparison :) There is a thread and a group buy here.

As for the USB part - it helped liberate both my EXA boards.

Hello - what's the thread and what's the group buy?

I'd like to know more about your EXA boards - are you referring to the ExaSound Dacs with the ES9018? They have asynchronous inputs anyway don't they? Is the EXA board something else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.