New Oppo BDP-93/95 and DIY possibilities...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys

Here in Australia there has been a bit of drama and delays to getting the new Oppos from the importer due to multi-region solutions has struck problems and nobody down here wants them if the only do US region disks.

Many of the commercial "modders" in the US are already doing the players up. Just wondering if anybody on diyaudio has gotten their hands on '93 or '95 and done anything to them. The usual possibilities, but especially re-clocking the 27MHz Master Clock on the main MediaTek chip.

I can see that CS4382 DAC is used in the cheaper '93, and I know it works very well with a 1:1 audio transformer and should give 1.45V RMS output, which is what I have done with another player using CS4382. This is Cyrrus Logic's multi-channel DAC, but unlike real cheapie voltage multi-channel DACs, the CS4382 uses differential voltage outs, and that makes 1:1 tx a natural.

The same goes for the Sabre DAC in the voltage mode, but proper I/V converter schemes can be employed. Many will stay with opamp I/V converters and maybe the higher grade opamps used in the '95 (but not in the '93) will suffice and satisfy many. But re-clocking is still a must even if they do.

I believe both these players are going to be SIGNIFICANT for most, if not all, of us !!!

Their compatibility with lossless-compressed files such as FLAC files, even Hi-Rez to full MCH, Wave files too, this is where the future lays in digital playback getting away from being Disk based to being file (hard drive etc) based.

Actually not fussed about the video side, but believe it will be very good as Oppo usually is, but we are of course DIY Audio guys.

Over to you and comments you may have.

Cheers, Joe R.

how is using a modded blueray player getting away from spinning disks? i mean i'm sure they have a decent buffer, but i wouldnt invest too much money or time in such a thing if the aim is to vove towards file based playback, there are a number of multichannel usb-i2s convertors popping up, just remove the player altogether. i think its a dead end to invest too much in a transition type product

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.