XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hello,
something happened to my brother's WaveIO recently - every time it's powered from external PSU it randomly disappear/reappear in windows, while if on USB power it's 100% stable, what could it be?
It's not PSU as i tried at least 2 different ones (shunt-regulator and simple 7805, very stable 5V, tons of current)
Any suggestions where do i check first?

Joined 2015
Paid Member
DSD detection

@ xcj999: I'm guessing you're moving the jumper on J8 as well! If you're using on-board USB socket then please leave J8 to "BRD" position and forget about it!
Power switch is done by using ONLY the jumper on J12 pin header. On the botom of your board - right under the J12 jumper - you should see the "PSU Select" white silkscreen text. Here "EXT" means that your WaveIO is powered form external PSU while "BRD" means that USB 5V Bu is used to power it.
To use external PSU move J12 jumper on "EXT" position. That's all! Do NOT mix up J12 and J8 since each one has a different meaning!
Please let me know how it works!

As for Bartt and AIM65: I'll get back to you later since I need to write a bigger answer and time is rather pressing me right now. I'm sorry for that!
@ Bartt: if you're in a hurry then you may ask on DDDAC thread about this info as I'm assuming they can answer you as well.

Kind regards,
L

Hi Lorien, any idea about DSD detection notification ?
Thanks

@ Bartt: attached is a picture with connections you asked for. I hope it helps!
@ AIM65: below you'll find the LED combinations available on WaveIO. Sadly
there's nothing simple as an On/Off signal to get use of it. You have
to decode it - most likely with gate logic, meaning that, for example,
(L1 AND L3) OR (L1 AND L4) => DoP. In the other case,
(L2 AND L3) OR (L2 AND L4) OR (L2 AND L5) => DSD Native
Code:
PCM  44.1 = L1
PCM  48   = L2
PCM  88.2 = L3
PCM  96   = L4
PCM 176.4 = L5
PCM 192   = L6
PCM 352.8 = L5 + L3
PCM 384   = L6 + L4

DoP  64   = L1 + L3
DoP 128   = L1 + L4

DSD  64   = L2 + L3
DSD 128   = L2 + L4
DSD 256   = L2 + L5
On another hand I want to let all of you know that I've open a new thread fro BluWave board which can be found here.

Kind regards,
L

Attachments

• I2Sconns.jpg
    I2Sconns.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 380
Joined 2015
Paid Member
@ Bartt: attached is a picture with connections you asked for. I hope it helps!
@ AIM65: below you'll find the LED combinations available on WaveIO. Sadly
there's nothing simple as an On/Off signal to get use of it. You have
to decode it - most likely with gate logic, meaning that, for example,
(L1 AND L3) OR (L1 AND L4) => DoP. In the other case,
(L2 AND L3) OR (L2 AND L4) OR (L2 AND L5) => DSD Native
Code:
PCM  44.1 = L1
PCM  48   = L2
PCM  88.2 = L3
PCM  96   = L4
PCM 176.4 = L5
PCM 192   = L6
PCM 352.8 = L5 + L3
PCM 384   = L6 + L4

DoP  64   = L1 + L3
DoP 128   = L1 + L4

DSD  64   = L2 + L3
DSD 128   = L2 + L4
DSD 256   = L2 + L5
On another hand I want to let all of you know that I've open a new thread fro BluWave board which can be found here.

Kind regards,
L

Great, very useful. Fortunately I've got some free GPIO ports...

Thanks Lorien

Last edited:
Hi there!
It was suggested to me several times by some members of this forum over PMs to organize a group buy for WaveIO. I never did this before so please excuse my lack of experience! I'm fully aware this GB must offer some gains/advantages due to batch build up for this board so I was thinking to ask you first if there will be any interest for such a GB before going to numbers/Qs.

Like for all my earlier creations, I'll promise that all boards involved in this GB will take advantage of the same handcrafted quality - since I'm simply unable to do otherwise :rolleyes: - but there will be lower costs for both the board and the shipping services due to demanded quantities. Moreover, since this board is 100% built in a manually 'fashion' I'll start in advance to minimize the dispatch time which we all hate!

As said above, I'm just picking to see if there's any interest on this GB so I know what I have to do next.
Kind regards,
L

@ rondadon: I was thinking about 100 pcs. as I can see this number can be taken as a reference here on Diyaudio forum but I can also go with 2 x 50... still, the first one is the most affordable path for all of us.
Obviously 200 is the best one I can have. Do not think at "as many as possible" is the best option! No it's not! Why? Do not forget that I'll have to build each board manually so ... I don't want to die by old age with WaveIOs in my hands :p
Kind regards,
L

@ merlin el mago: did you get your WaveIO board?
@ Hacker & Crom: Stubborn issue! :mad: Sadly there's no solution yet hence the lack of my replies on this matter! I'll continue to investigate hoping the hardware will cooperate!
@ vmanuelgm: wrong thread, I'm sorry!
@ bigpandahk: here is the link to what are you looking for with a small difference: you now have to use "TUSBAudioDfu.exe" found in WaveIO's installation directory to upload new firmware images instead of old path through TUSBAudio Control Panel.

Off topic: After a couple of years of building WaveIOs, I might came to the feeling to design something new...
I thought to post the news here first to see if there's any interest in it before moving on and pollute this nice forum with a new boring thread!
I'm speaking about a new board which is basically a pilot for me regarding a couple of reasons (almost all are technical). I'll not get you bored with unwanted details unless you really want to! but to tell that it's a simple USB to SPDIF Interface built to fulfill requests I got from some of my friends.

Anyway, this new board is built with my knowledge about WaveIO in mind + ~six years after :p As you can see in the attached pictures, this new board is split almost evenly in two. The input side where the XMOS resides is powered form the host (PC/MAC/Linux/etc.) while the output side can be powered form two places: host OR external PSU. Obviously, I recommend the second choice!
Moreover, the "audio oscillators" are now placed after the isolator, on the so called "quiet" side of it! It is quiet enough for my oscilloscope, better than actual board... I must say I'm quite happy about the outcome!
I'm sorry if this PCB pictured here isn't "prepared" as should be... It's my test board.
As for slaving it to external clock sources, this can be easily done since there are two U.FL.s present there for this purpose. If you're going to use external clocks then you can switch off "audio" oscillators on the main board... both of them simultaneously.
Speaking of oscillators, are the finest NDKs I could find, as I always use for all boards I made. As usual, drivers are genuine, made by Thesycon and customized for this new board.
The first batch is a small one! Now I have nine boards here for spare, excluding the "test" one which will be kept for "just in case" situations. Price is set at 89 Euro each, including Paypal, shipping and VAT charges.
Any questions are welcomed!
If there's some interest please put your name here along with the number boards you want to have but please remember that I only have 9 of them.

Kind regards,
L

Edit: TOP and Bottom pictures of it:

I'm interested in being on your list if you have any of these boards left.

Bob

For all those interested and own a WaveIO or more, I have some good news regarding it! Perhaps there's not much but I put a lot of great deal in achieving it!
After several months of discussions I might finally have a new version of Windows drivers that can be used with WaveIO. In fact, Thesycon told me that there are two sets of drivers: one which handles Windows 7 and 8 and the second one made only for Win10. Being a Windows user this is not strange to me :cool:
Anyway, it's possible that starting from next week this new driver will be available for all of you who wants it!
I'll get back on this thread as soon as I have it ready for you!

EDIT: of course, drivers will be shipped free of charge.

Kind regards,
L

Last edited: