DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Agree with both data & Jean-Paul that some resistance should be added, but found improved bass & dynamics with a very low value (I think I'm using 4.7 or 5.1ohms currently).
Deleted

Edit Disregard my questions . It helps if I remember what people are doing in this thread :(

Oops...I see you are using transformers.

I'm going to get one of these kits when I have the spare cash, and do the transformer output mod. This chip has potential from what I gathered last time I played with it....and killed it...a couple actually *sighs* I'll have better luck with this kit as I won't end up over heating the chip :)

Last edited:
For those of you that want to go completely over the top:
Feastrex FINEMET Premium Transformers for AK4399 DAC | eBay
I especially love the part about the "magic" performed by Mr Teramoto.. ;)
Oh, and the Shipping is Free.. :D

It should be shame that if winding is made of plain copper. :)

National's metal can LME49720 must have been tried at output before this kind of attempts. It bothers me when i think idea of committing precious signal electrons to a magnetic field.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I like the 80% nickel Cinamag quadfilers in my CS4398 dac, but some may prefer 50% nickel ones, It's a personal and system dependent thing.

Jensen have good transformers too JENSEN TRANSFORMERS, INC. - LINE OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS

The JT-11-BMCF looks good but are a little pricey at over $100, if budget is a concern maybe the 50% nickel JT-11-ELCF is listed at about $50 each.
The higher nickel transformers are more transparent/resolving, but for some peoples tastes and systems the 50% ones may suit better, and may sound kind of warmer.

I haven't used these, I'm just posting a couple of possibilities, at the end of the day in transformers you get what you pay for, in general that is :)

There are also some NOS transformers like the UTC A-20 that show up on the bay, but other retail brands like Lundahl are a definite option.

Those Feastrex ones are mad crazy priced! :eek:

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Small signal transformers can't have DC current as they become magnetized because of that and then they perform awfully. This is very old and common information but it seems transformers and the knowledge of them are something of the past since switching PSU's have become common goods now. I use Neutrik and Haufe signal types that can't even be measured with a DMM (in the resistance setting) as then core will be become magnetized.

A transformer is not meant to block DC, it is originally meant to transform an AC voltage/current up or down in a ratio. DAC's with symmetrical outputs have 0 Volt between the + and - outputs. They have a voltage with respect to GND but the transformer won't have a problem with that as long as you don't connect the center tap to GND ! So connect the primary winding to + and - outputs of the DAC and you won't have a problem.

Some mV between the + and - output is acceptable ( ALWAYS measure first !), the less the better of course. If you would use a symmetrical input amp I would use caps instead of a transformer. My primary goal is to load the DAC chip symmetrically and convert the symmetrical output signal to asymmetrical otherwise i would not bother to choose the most expensive solution.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hang on a bit...

In another thread someone states there is 2v DC on the DAC outputs, and this would follow as these are voltage out DACs.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/194748-capacitor-voltage-dac-output.html

This is getting confusing :confused:

With that Jensen transformer JT-11-EM it states "Driving
signals should be free of DC and source impedance kept as low as possible."

But with the few other ones listed that I looked at, it reads "For best performance, driving
signals should be free of DC and source impedance kept as low as possible." So it looks like the JT-11-EM needs to be avoided for this application, as far as I can see.

Looks as though I linked the wrong page to begin with.

Best to look at these ones http://www.jensen-transformers.com/ln_in.html

Last edited:
Regulator Voltages

Hi guys,

Finally got my DAC up and running. Im a little concerned and am hopping someone can help. My kit shows a pair or 15v regulators on the screen printing. however the kit contained 12v regulators. I have seen versions of the PCB with 7812 12v regulators screen printed on the board. Does anyone know if the kit was revised? If so what else changed and what version is better? These two regulators are running VERY hot i have had to add a large heat sink to keep them cool. Im powering with a 15-0-15 vac maybe to high for these regulators. I have had a good look around but have not found this discussed anywhere. Would be great full if someone know about this?

Russell

Here is my finished variation on the AK4396 theme.

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • p2.JPG
    p2.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • p3.JPG
    p3.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 994