My MiniDSP setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have bought the three MiniDSP modules - MiniDSP, MiniDIGI and MiniAMP, and I'm right now testing the MiniDSP with 2 way crossover. It's replacing my Behringer DCX2496.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The noise is considerable lower than the Behringer, and dynamics are better. A rather thick curtain have dissapeared. Next move is to try the MiniDIGI and then MiniAMP in 4 channel mode, and then 2 channel mode with my NXP based class D amps.

In Denmark the Behringer DCX2496 is 435$ incl VAT compared to the 350$ incl VAT I have given for 3 MiniDSP modules and a SMPS. Add another 50$ for a case, cables and connectors. All in all not much cheaper, but you get a 4 channel bridgeable amp and full spdif in/out. In other words more work to get it up and running, but a bit cheaper, better sounding and more flexibel.

MiniDSP also have really good customer support.

Have just tried the MiniDIGI module with a lot of distortion. You realley have to dig into I2S to understand what to do. I think I have two I2S master MCLK, so I have to "slave" one of them, when I get home from work.

The software is very easy, but stacking the boards and get the configuration you need, are quite hard work, and require some reading and understanding I2S routing.

I just had a jumper-setting in the wrong position. With spdif input the boards are almost silent. So you DIY'ers who make high efficiency loudspeaker should take a look on these nice DSP kits. I can hardly wait to get the MiniAMP up and running. I guess any background hiss, will disappear.

The sound quality is very good. One thing to piont out here, is that I don't have a high end system. The days where I had the time for that isn't there anymore, so I can't tell you if the DSP crossover have high end capabilities. But, you have the option for full digital in/out via both I2S and spdif, and that combined with high end DAC's or digitally moduled PWM amps, should be very interesting.

Thanks for the info Kjeldsen!

Most interested in this Mini DSP Unit. :)

Please give as much information as possible about how it functions when you've become used to it. I'm strongly considering purchasing it and pairing it with the Dayton DTA-100 when it becomes available again!

Perhaps you could test it on a friends set of high-end speakers? they would likely be interested in looking at your new toy as well!:cheers:

And Shaun? Why would the DAC effect the performance of the Mini DSP?:confused: Wouldn't the DAC be dependent upon whomever is using it, and whatever soundcard they are running? (or Serato, Tractor, etc) The Mini DSP would simply be accepting this signal and applying various processing (crossovers, phase, time alignment, etc) before amplification. Am I missing something here?

And Shaun? Why would the DAC effect the performance of the Mini DSP?:confused: Wouldn't the DAC be dependent upon whomever is using it, and whatever soundcard they are running? (or Serato, Tractor, etc) The Mini DSP would simply be accepting this signal and applying various processing (crossovers, phase, time alignment, etc) before amplification. Am I missing something here?

No, you are correct. The MiniDSP itself is not the constraint, and is said to be running full 24 bit. But the ADC is not of the highest spec. See this post from which I quote the following:

In particular, if the MiniDSP's dynamic range is 96dB the resolution is 16 bits. Not 24 as claimed. Manufacturers usually fudge such numbers so, in my opinion, being honest about them is a good way to differentiate your product.

No processing is indeed 24bit and to be honest, measurements on the AP was around 98dB so we certainly feel that it's unfair to categorize us in that range of manufacturer. :( While working in some proper audio company, we've learned to derate our measurements like other good companies would... Not sure if we deserve to be blamed as our motto is certainly not to lie to the community but help it...
To get back to the technical aspect, the I2S is indeed 24bit, the processing is indeed 24bit with 28 to 56bit resolution for the filter (required for better resolution). The lower than usual dynamic range you are looking at has nothing to do with the bit resolution, but rather the limited input of the ADC. With our upcoming high fidelity balanced board, you'll get a lot more than you actually need.

I'm glad to see my little project is helpfull. I have just got the last components to my project. I have two young kids taking a lot of my time, so don't expect everything to be up and running in no time ;-). I will do my best to have a test cabinet with all three modules working by the end of next week.

Kjeldsen, sorry to harrass you :) Have you tried your miniAMP yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.