Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)?
Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2012, 05:34 PM   #311
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I am now 54 and since two years i have gliding glasses. They are sharper in the far field then in the near field. The fist weeks i had the feeling that i look into a tunnel. Again this is very practical ones you have mastered to move your head up and down. I have three options now. No glasses, medium field, far field. Maybe i am naive but i try to look at getting older in a positive way. My son thinks that i make a lot of rather funny head movements.
There is no one fit all jobs tool for us I'm afraid. I'm 51 and getting used to what optical device to use for the job at hand. A positive approach is half of the job as I see it! Enjoy!

Brgds

Last edited by Turbon; 17th January 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 18th January 2012, 02:31 PM   #312
Joachim Gerhard is offline Joachim Gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have finished the work on the filter-buffer for the EUVL ESS9022 board. It is named 3.1.
To use a higher value resistor did the trick. Now the sound can have the mind drilling penetration i sometime need when i listen to soul or electronic music but it can also sound smooth, dynamic and full playing tube miked Jazz. Modern Jazz and classical has air and sparkle, without sounding sharp. Voices and instruments are just "there", present and natural. See the schematic.
I made other small changes. I raised the amount of local decoupling on the buffer power lines by 470uF Panasonic FM each. I placed the filter-buffer closer and more symmetric to my power amps ( i do not need a preamp, the power amp has a potmeter at the input like in Japan ) so i can use shorter and better cable. I changed the grounding of the cable from the ESS boards from digital ground to analog ground. The tiny hum is gone now. What is left is the noise of my tube amps that they produce by themselves. I have to work on this too to get it dead quiet.
I will post a picture soon.
best, joachim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ESS9022 EUVL Filter 3.1 Schematic.TSC - TINA.pdf (7.2 KB, 3669 views)
Old 18th January 2012, 02:47 PM   #313
diyAudio Member

Here is a picture of the new, more compact setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ES9022 Filter 3 picture of setup.jpg (94.9 KB, 4424 views)
Old 18th January 2012, 02:53 PM   #314
CFT is offline CFT  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the sharing of your design Joachim, fascinating indeed! A better solution than using trans-tube-trans as filter and buffer that I was thinking of.... : )
Old 18th January 2012, 03:27 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

Thanks, it works for me.
Old 18th January 2012, 04:36 PM   #316
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Joachim,

Many thanks for sharing and for the tuning work.
One question -- does R1C1 make a real sonic difference, or you just want another LP at 2MHz ?

The PCB layout is basically finished and measures 30x50mm approximately.
(for 2 channels, with an option to parallel 2 FETs at each location of the schematics)

I'll see if I can squeeze in R1C1 by using SMD pps film caps (Panasonic).
Silver mica would be too large, also expensive.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 18th January 2012, 06:14 PM   #317
diyAudio Member

This buffer is very wide band. When you simulate it at very high frequencies ( actually the layout and the PCB plays a role too ) you will see that there is a peak, then a minimum and then again the response can co up. This is because first the circuit goes inductive and then capacitive again. I like to stay out of that region. Also the input capacitance of a Fet is not very linear. I fact it is a very bad capacitor with distortion. The cascoding reduces that effect somewhat. You can use an NPO ceramic. That works well too. It is basically an open circuit in the audible range.
Old 18th January 2012, 07:01 PM   #318
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am going to use this, but in principle any 0805 150p will do.

Digi-Key - PCF1318CT-ND (Manufacturer - ECH-U1H151JX5)

Patrick
Old 18th January 2012, 07:32 PM   #319
diyAudio Member

PPS is a very good choice.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:59 AM   #320
diyAudio Member

Tell me how you like the sound please.

Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)?Hide this!Advertise here!