NAD 214 - Convert from 240 VAC to 120 VAC

Hello all!

I have a small project to convert a NAD 214 from 240 VAC to 120 VAC. I do have the schematics and skill to do this but also have the following questions:

1. What gauge should the new power cord be since now it will drawing twice the current, the fuse needs to be upgraded to double the capacity?

2. I plan to use US plugs of which i have a choice of: a plug with one of the spades which is wider than the other: this spade should be the neutral? And, I would be happier to use a three prong with a physical ground wire. Any thoughts on either one?

3. The unit has been in a box for a decade and a half and find it prudent to change the capacitors: is there any place where a capacitor kit be available or, would someone suggest a brand(s) I should stick with?

I thank in advance any input the members may provide, I am eager to get this guy up and running again!

Best,

Luuix

Any good brand of capacitor will work, get 105 degree capacitors, if possible of a slightly higher voltage rating.
Use regular, not fancy audio special, capacitors.

Famous and reliable brands, as below:

Panasonic, Nichicon, Nippon Con-Chemie, Elna, Rubycon, Taicon, Vishay, Sprague , Wilma, get whichever are easily available in your area.

Buy from a reputed seller, and do not use Chinese, Keltron from India is good, may not be sold in your area.

Last edited:
Not sure if a dodgy capacitor or someone wanted to keep the old can when replacing.

dodgy-capacitor.jpg

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not sure if a dodgy capacitor or someone wanted to keep the old can when replacing.

That picture has been around more than a decade. Before Asian auction sellers there were a couple of brands of "replacement parts", which mostly sorta worked, but were not always as labeled. MASTER was one of them. Someone claimed he noticed this can rattled, cut it open, and posted this image. Its veracity has never been proven.

Posted 2011, attributed to "someone".

Last edited:
What is even more stupid is that he used Rubycon instead of generic Chinese.
Here our fraudsters remove the sleeves, and put new sleeves with a more reputed brand.
Happens in Keltron too, our traders know which are not available, so if I show them those, they are like Keltron does not make those...
No idea if Master is famous...the faker could have put no name Chinese inside...without sleeves.