Phantom Power and Mic Capsule Voltage

Thanks all for your interesting replies.

Rick-the underwater issue is not a problem here-in fact we have been doing this for years. But I need a quick and simple in-air equivalent mainly to test some processing code and mathematical issues. (no need for the water here which is expensive--besides -I get seasick!)
So this system would simulate some water issues in the code but the only concerns here are to get a set of small mics that I mount in my configurations working with a recorder (probably zoom) and also with our ADC system.

cheers
Fritz

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....True condenser microphones will require a sufficiently high voltage, near 48V....

Some early P48 mikes used the 48V directly for polarization, as well as to drive the buffer.

Today most >$200 mikes (and some under) use DC-DC conversion to take a wide range of inputs. I know the AKG 414 very well, it would accept down to nominal 12V because internally it made regulated 9V for the buffer and jacked that up for the polarization.

"Headroom" is not an issue. The 414 can deliver an incredible (for a mike) 2V. So 9V supply is ample. Few mikes will deliver an honest 0.5V. Doesn't take much.

Thank you Paul. I am using only one brand of mic and one recorder or ADC circuit so I will not have to genericize the range of voltages received. I can pre-calculate it all. I large number of capsules listed have an input impedance of 2.2K and an acceptable voltage range of 2-10V so I just need to provide that. The only concern is being sure I don't overdrive the compliance of the recorder phantom power (or short it) as I obviously don't want to destroy it.

Marcel--underwater mics are used for various things in the oceanography field--visualization, listening to biota, detecting distances for submarines.

thanks
fritz

Some early P48 mikes used the 48V directly for polarization, as well as to drive the buffer.

Today most >$200 mikes (and some under) use DC-DC conversion...

What mics do this?
Apart from AKG there are only a few I know, the Josephson and Gefell MV225 both use measurement capsules as omnidirectional studio mics but are ~$2000.
All the other measurement mics need 200 V or use electrets and don't need any DC-DC conversion.
I assume there must be voice/studio mics that use DC-DC but I wouldn't have expected "most".
They still copy old Neumanns and haven't moved to electrets?
Maybe such a DC-DC mic could be adapted to drive a measurement capsule...hmm.

Best wishes
David

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> All the other measurement mics need 200 V

I thot we were talking P48 studio mikes? How did 200V system come in?

OK, I see your measurement mike thread. That's another world from P48. In studio you may have very long cables and you should not electrocute performers. In measurement, cables may be short (and unbalanced) and technicians should know better.

Last edited:
Two things:

- the ZoomH4N has VERY good built-in microphones, you'd be hard pressed to find anything significantly better at the usual hardware suppliers - at least for the "plug-in-power" minijack connector.

- if you go the (higher possible quality) XLR route with "real" condenser microphones, you should be aware that the phantom power delivered by ZoomH4N is only at 24V, which makes some mics struggle to work well. Neumann KM84 and AKG C414-P48 comes to mind. Setting Up: Input [1], [2] Connections And Phantom Power Source - Zoom H4n Operation Manual [Page 33] | ManualsLib

/Jakob E.
I have repaired a few of these Zoom H4's, there is 48V phantom supply (measured) when are are new & loading of the microphone type. When a particular mic doesn't work when changing to 28V and was better before at 48V, I replace the power supply PCB. The phantom p/s 48V keeps dropping lower with usage of the ZoomH4. Wear and tear I guess. $50 a board.