De-Gassing Epoxy Resin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I was making plans to build horn speakers and I was going to make them out of wood, and for whatever reason, I've decided to 3d print a mould and cast some mono body epoxy-resin horns with pretty rose petals . . .. but how would I get something like that 4'x4'x5' de-gassed? I can't find anything commercial or industrial and I suspect that options would be exorbitant. The only thing I can think of is welding up some sheet steel myself. Is anyone aware of any tutorials on building a vessel? Am I taking the wrong route? Are there epoxy resins that tend to dry clear?

thx

People degas casting materials with something like this- 5 Gallon Vacuum Chamber Product Information | Smooth-On, Inc. and then pour it carefully so as not to trap air. Very low viscosity materials sometimes don't need degassing. We degas clear epoxies at work in a centrifuge, but that's not suitable for large quantities or for anything with a filler as it settles to the bottom!

Sounds like a very interesting project and I would love to see the end results. To minimize bubbles there are a few things you can do (like Conrad Hoffman also said):
- Use very low viscosity casting resin with a long pot life.
- Degas the mixed resin using vacuum before casting.
- Try not to introduce bubbles when mixing and pouring. Will require a bit of practice.
- Vibrating the mould helps the bubbles to surface.
- Surface bubbles can be removed with a small burner or blow torch, if this will not melt your mould.
Keep us posted.

The 5-Gallon pre-degassing sounds like a great idea. The wall thickness of the horn will be under 12mm, should be much less than 5-Gallons. Use resin casting.

thanks
You can't put 5 gallons into a 5 gallon chamber. Until the liquid has almost fully de-gassed under vacuum, it will continue expanding as the dissolved / bubbled gases inflate and cause the liquid to decrease in density. Watch a degassing video to see this in action.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.