"Breadwire" for prototyping?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello lovely people!

We all know what "breadboard" is, including those reusable solderless ones.

But are there any "breadwires"?
I mean, are there some kind of wire jumpers which can be inserted in the PCB holes (presumably plated-through) and fixed there with some kind of retention system, retaining a decent mechanical and electrical contact?

Say, you have some ready-made electronic module and want to try different things with it. Resoldering the wires several times might damage PCB pads and traces, obviously.
I do understand that there are no "standard" PCB hole size, but maybe such wires exist at least for some hole diameter, or maybe even for several as a kit?

Any suggestions (including DIY ones) are welcome!

Some even clip-on inside a PTH hole: there is nothing outside to keep them together, and they behave just like a solder, low-profile and all, but without solder and reinsertable.
I haven't seen one in one or two decades though; maybe they were discontinued?

You will have to use some soldering, but simplest (mechanically) and longest lasting will be so called "turned" pins, since they have no moving parts, elasticity is provided by wire end itself.

Buy a few strips like these and snap them out into individual contacts.

Tira%20de%20pines%20hembra%20torneado.jpg

What you are trying to find is some mini version of a banana plug, where elasticity is provided by split pins, made out of some elastic material (phosphor bronze?).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Not technically impossible, by far, but I guess will be way more expensive than plain banana plugs, simply by the higher precision required by miniature size.
Add to that you will need quite a few, the project becomes expensive.

Another unseen problem is that lead inside PTH is thin soft lead ,just an electrolytic deposit.
Good/strong enough for soldering, not so sure about repeated insertion of a pin or terminal that *scratches* it.

Last edited:
JMFahey, DontHertzMe, I understand the issue with repeated insertion, but it doesn't have to be so. Just stick the pin once, make all the prototyping by connecting to the other side of the pin, decide on the final variant, remove the pin, solder the wire.
I'll check those solderless headers on Mouser, thank you, but usually their shipping cost to my country kills all the fun.

MAAC0, Enzo, that's exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for.

OK, my information seems to be outdated.
We don't have local Mouser office (unlike the Germany and South Africa), and several years ago shipping cost from Mouser International or Mouser Europe was quite ridiculous (I don't remember exactly, but well over $150). Now it seems to be 30USD/20EUR.
Still a bit too much for a couple of $1 parts, but maybe I can add those to some bigger order in the future.
Thanks!

Here in Germany you pay 20 Euro for delivery on orders lower than 50 Euro. On top of that FedEx takes care of the customs duties for you (included in the 20 Euro shipping costs). Anyways, on a bigger order 20 Euro is not so bad knowing that parts should travel from the US.

I would suggest you to check if customs clearance is also included in the shipping costs to Ukraine.
I did not send anything home in a long time so I do not know an actual limit for the tax-free shipping to Ukraine.

Regards,
Oleg

I was using control point loops for that purpose. Ones you see in a measurement equipment pcb's to hook a scope or multi-meter probe for calibration/tuning. Have no idea what it actually called. Find some stashed in a dark corner in a surplus store. It looks like a thin springy wire loop through plastic standoff about 1.8- 2mm diameter. Insertable ends usually bent in a way that it pops into the plated hole and stays there quite reliably. All I needed to do was to solder wires to the loop part.

I was using control point loops for that purpose. Ones you see in a measurement equipment pcb's to hook a scope or multi-meter probe for calibration/tuning. Have no idea what it actually called. Find some stashed in a dark corner in a surplus store. It looks like a thin springy wire loop through plastic standoff about 1.8- 2mm diameter. Insertable ends usually bent in a way that it pops into the plated hole and stays there quite reliably. All I needed to do was to solder wires to the loop part.

Like so? 5001 Keystone Electronics | Mouser South Africa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.