embedding a DMM into a bench-top instrument panel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hello all,
I'm the owner of 4 DMM, all middle range models, eg UNI-T UT61E, Voltcraft VC 850, etc. I'm redesigning my workspace with a new bench. It will have a vertical stack of 2, maybe 3 surfaces to hold the scope, signal generator, PSU, etc. I sort of do not like handheld DMMs, they take a lot of valuable benchtop space and cabling is messy, always need to be re-organized, etc. Obviously, benchtop DMM would be a solution but their prices (new modern devices, or older good brands like Fluke or HP) are somewhat high for my usage... and I already have 4 handheld devices... so I came to the idea of vertically embedding them into a panel. I do have the tools for some woodworking, but it's not that easy, as they often have no screw taps behind, have cumbersome formats, and the back-panel need to be accessed to replace their batteries.

Anyone has done something like this and can recommend a sane approach ?
Thanks, Charles

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Thanks Mooly, yes that's a good point to take into consideration - I need to check this before building anything. There is a factor ~2-3 in pricing between equivalents benchtop and handheld models. Any basic 4 1/2 benchtop will cost me about 400-500 CHF (say 400€). And while 5 1/2 would be nice I don't have a justification for it (building tube amps, fixing audio gear).

I know its about a panel meter but I have a dual display digital power supply where the LHS panel meter has gone dead .

Contrast this with an old school analogue power supply where the analogue meters are still functioning correctly .

Motto ? if you are buying digital panel meters make sure they are quality products .

The trick is to look at the tear down videos on U-tube and see if you can see the part numbers on the display chips.
They have a pair of resistors that set the viewing angle. You look up the data on the chip to find out where to add the pot.
The extended battery holder and pot go above or below the location the meter is fitted in.

Thanks Mooly, yes that's a good point to take into consideration - I need to check this before building anything. There is a factor ~2-3 in pricing between equivalents benchtop and handheld models. Any basic 4 1/2 benchtop will cost me about 400-500 CHF (say 400€). And while 5 1/2 would be nice I don't have a justification for it (building tube amps, fixing audio gear).
There is an option to get an used 5 1/2 benchtop. There is a plenty of old Flukes 8840 or 3478A HP on ebay for around ~$150. 4 1/2 from Fluke, Keithley, etc. even cheaper. Few years back I was looking for a new 4 1/2 handheld but 99.8% of me using it, is on the workbench. And at that time a message on eevblog about 3478 from ebay for a $120 caught my attention. May be it will make sense for you to consider?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
There is an option to get an used 5 1/2 benchtop. There is a plenty of old Flukes 8840 or 3478A HP on ebay for around ~$150. 4 1/2 from Fluke, Keithley, etc. even cheaper. Few years back I was looking for a new 4 1/2 handheld but 99.8% of me using it, is on the workbench. And at that time a message on eevblog about 3478 from ebay for a $120 caught my attention. May be it will make sense for you to consider?

That is certainly an option to consider instead of spending time trying to replace a SMD resistor by a pot with my poor eyes and building a frame around my diverse handeld models. The only issue being that these 2 brands (Fluke & HP/Agilent) are almost only available from USA vendors on ebay so the shipping gets expensive. Well, for the price of a new one I could buy 2 or 3 of them and be done with it.

Have a look at-
DMM

I have an ancient HP 6.5 digit LED systems voltmeter 4-wire capable with guard that I wouldn't upgrade for the world ,you can stand at the other end of my room and still make out the display .

Self calibrating and a lot of other features BUT its massive in old HP rack mounting style ,after buying 30 years ago at an electronic factory closure auction it has never let me down.

I also still use my old Avo 8.

The approach is certainly a good one but if this is without Problems I dare to question. if you use one DMM at the time then OK but if you want to use them simultaneously then its better to have them "LOOSE" on the table. The probes or cables will not become less.. same if you have them on the table or build in.. but it's your choice I was thinking about a similar Bench as you have in mind. but.. no..
when building Amps and testing then I need for one Amplifier

In out dummy Load & of course in Parallel the Speaker Cables which will fit into the Jacks of the Dummy..
Then OSC, Function, Original Signal from my Fostex Mixer, then

1. DMM for Ampere measure
1. DMM for DC OUT MEASURE

1. DMM for Rail +
1. DMM for Rail -
then also a Analog Multi-meter for Output Signal in common with the OSC Second channel.. and of course Input Signal from Function exchangeable with the MIXING Console. In Burgdorf, they have very Accurate Small DMM for 30CHF / you can measure

AC/DC Volt AC/DC Amp up to 10, you can measure diodes, and you can Measure Ohms.. Battery almost last for ever.. Ask for Mr.Fria.. the Name of the Company is Jaeger Electronics earlier years *1968* Now it named JAEGER-NEUBATEC AG, Fabrikweg 10, 3400 Burgdorf.

The rest you can use the OSC to measure and may a sophisticated DMM for Caps..
Check my thread about Class A amps there you can also take a look at the DMM..
The good thing on these is that this DMM's change the RANGE automatically no need to adjust never-mind OHM's or VOLTS.. amps below 10 you have to but this there are only 2 choices.. more than 20 Milli-amps and l0 amps..

Greetings From Bern City, and Toffen

Chris

Last edited:
@cbueche - what about a swing arm with a "cellphone" type holder that the DMM can be clamped into, with a hook or two for the probes and leads. I don't have an example to show you, unfortunately, but your question gave me an idea to solve a similar problem that I have with bench space.
Kevin

That is certainly an option to consider instead of spending time trying to replace a SMD resistor by a pot with my poor eyes and building a frame around my diverse handeld models. The only issue being that these 2 brands (Fluke & HP/Agilent) are almost only available from USA vendors on ebay so the shipping gets expensive. Well, for the price of a new one I could buy 2 or 3 of them and be done with it.
Sometimes some of them popping up somewhere in Europe or Israel and you may get lucky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.