Gluing together Formica clad mdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have some offcuts of from a new kitchen installation. It is mdf covered with what I'm calling formica but it may be something different nowadays. It is hard, has a very fine texture and is satin in finish. It wasn't glossy kitchen.

It will make quite nice speaker cabinets but I'm unsure how well it will join. It will be butt jointed and so was considering an impact/contact adhesive.

Any experience with this?

Thanks
James

If you can’t see a thin brown line between the core and surface, the material is more likely to be “melamine” - although that technically refers to the chemistry of the resin that is the base of top surface layer.
This type of sheet good material is designed primarily for cabinets/casework, and wouldn’t be my first choice for speaker boxes in which you want not only structural intregity, but also - unless you’re building an open baffle - air tight joints as well.
You’d be best to at least dado/ rebate joints to ensure all glue surface areas are raw core, or consider cleats, low-root wood screws, and lots of silicone. In commercial cabinetry work, when cases built from melamine need a skin of high pressure plastic laminate (Formica, etc), or real wood veneer, the top surface needs to be scuffed off with belt sander to ensure adhesion of either contact cement or veneer glue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.