Stealthy BoomCase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a Boomcase from an old leather suitcase, sort of like this one:
M216445-02.jpg

Rather than mounting the 6" full range speakers on the outside of the case, I'm thinking out mounting them inside with a pattern of 1/4" or so holes in the case in front of the speakers. It will be sort of like those old leatherette cases that came with your old RadioShack portables:
c5e21f7a153f713e0640c90e1c876f9e.jpg

My questions to the residents gurus are:
1. How much volume, if any, will I lose by placing the speakers behind the leather "grills?"

2. Will it color the sound? (I assume high frequencies will be attenuated more than low frequencies, but is it likely to be objectionable to us non-audiophiles?

Would a full size suitcase be right for a "subwoofer?"

I like the perforated idea. I don't think subwoofing / phat bass makes sense in a small (hand-portable) system.

Check the 'Boominator' thread for a jillion ideas on parts, driver layout etc.

By design, boominators only go to ~80Hz. I think that's a well chosen compromise. Going lower takes a toll on efficiency and battery life.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.