Adjusting An Enclosure with Pneumatics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cabin fever causes brainstorms sometimes.. :D

I'm playing around with an idea that seems to work. Basically a slightly oversized sealed enclosure with a inflatable vinyl ball inside with the "air" port of the ball accessible from the outside. Not a flimsy beach ball but something like this..

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Playgro...=1487965532&sr=8-23&keywords=Inflatable+Balls

I drilled a 2" hole in the back of the enclosure, deflated the ball, pulled the air "port" of the ball through the hole and epoxied it to hold it in place. Pumped some air back in and started playing! Adjustments can be made on the fly..

Any merit to this? Should I expect the boys with a straight jacket? :cool:

No actual graphs or numbers but days of listening..

The underinflated ball doesn't do much more than absorb internal reflections. Once the ball is inflated, it consumes the area it provides.

In my case, I used an 8" vinyl kick ball of low quality. Softly inflated, it consumes ~.15 Ft. of area inside of the enclosure. Again, not doing much more than absorbing internal reflection. After increasing air pressure is when changes can be noticed. After the pressure of the ball is more than the force the voice coil can produce, the x-max can be adjusted. Essentially an internal volume area adjuster..

The force of the voice coil can not penetrate the surface of the ball and sees it as a "hard" surface. If the pressure of the ball is larger than the amount of compression the voice coil can produce in the cabinet, the ball wins!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.