Translam Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a newly found fascination with translam enclosures. Im aware contours and designs can be much more creative compared to traditional panels, and its easy to add thickness to the panels. I believe it would be much stronger even using like thickness to a traditional panel enclosure just from the added strength from the lamenating process. This could be wrong but it was my thought process.

Also, if i were to build one using a "U" shape (front baffle and sides completely intact) what would the best way be to cut and recess the driver cutouts? My idea that having it in a "U" shape, would add strength to the baffle rather than having joints along the perimeter of the baffle. This design will have a removable rear panel for access reasons.

Am i on the right track with this? I think translam enclosures are beautiful, and in theory very strong.

Start buying clamps.

But seriously, speakers are made square because square is easy.

Commercially available speakers with laminated cabinets are probably prototyped in square boxes before the laminated cabinet is designed.

DIY built speakers are often more like prototypes than production speakers so laminating is adding a lot of work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.