DJ/Production Desk Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've decided to upgrade the desk in my studio and figured it would be more fun to make it myself. Not to mention I could design it to my personal requirements.

In the past my desk has been centred around music production but I am now incorporating some DJ equipment and aim to cater for this technology. I don't currently have a great deal of equipment, but there will need to be room for a little expansion.

So after some research I've seen people building studio furniture using individual items from Ikea. While I know this stuff isn't sturdy I have a few techniques I can incorporate into the building stage to make them more stable.

As this is primarily going to be a DJ workstation, and me being 6'3" in height it will need to be reach upwards of a metre so some stacking may be required.

I have mocked up a quick 3D model using Google Sketchup. Images are below:

R9s9cZx.png

Kf00xY0.png

Odc8cuO.png

zeNF9bR.png

1788XqK.png

Parts List:
2 x Ullrik Legs
2 x Linnmon Table Top (150 x 75)
1 x Ekby Amund Shelf
2 x Capita 16mm Legs (4pack)
2 x Capita Angled Brackets (2pack)

Unfortunately the side panels between the two table tops will have to be cut and painted from some other materials as Ikea don't have anything I can use for these.

Questions:
  • What are your thoughts on this design?
  • Is there anything you would change?
  • Do you think there would be a problem with warping?
  • Could I use less legs between the table tops?
  • Do you think the capita brackets support my speakers?

Looks great. Probably don't need the outer legs between the two table tops ( depends on how you're joining the sides to the top and bottom tables) and if you're going to be putting any Honeys up there ;),
But if you have the space for it build the desk with as much surface area as you can afford, wider and deeper. I built my studio desk out of a 2" thick laminated oak door that was 36"×84" and its just enough space for all my equipment. Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.