Use of Lead (Pb) as damping material in loudspeaker cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondered if anyone had tried this/thought of this and what the results were?

I'm considering an 'exotic' composite baffle (silicone-alu-silic-lead-silic-Alu-silic)

silicone 1mm, lead 1.8mm, alu 3mm, approx 12mm total thickness, but hopefully a lot stiffer than 36mm wood (need to calculate that!) and better damping properties (again needs to be calculated, but pretty damn sure!)

There are other methods / material combinations available to achieve the type of constrained layer damping I think you're hoping for - including many that would be much lower in mass and avoid the use of toxic metal

Then of course there's the question of attaching / isolating the composite baffle from the rest of the enclosure, the material composition which is not mentioned above.

It probably comes down to which of several philosophies of enclosure design you follow - I'd be very surprised to see consensus on this question.

But you already knew that from your earlier related thread

If you know anyone that works for a hospital/healthcare facility you might want to contact them if you are looking for some lead sheets.

I work in a hospital engineering department and we usually have spare lead sheeting kicking around for patching holes in x-ray rooms, where something needs to be hung in a lead lined wall. It would be even better if they are remodeling their radiology department. Picture a 1/8" sheet of lead, behind pretty much every sheet of drywall.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can also use lead sheet suspended in the cabinet with battens top and bottom and many V's cut into the lead so you can push them open them and allow some sound to pass through. I did it one time with just holes instead of the V flaps. All I know is that considering the weight and a lack of reference, I have no idea how effective it was, I just like to experiment all those years ago. As in the 70's...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.