Sealed Subwoofer Encloser Damping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently in the process of building a sealed subwoofer enclosure, and am after a little advic as I can't find the right answer for my questions on the net.
I have been told that cotton wadding (the stuff you put in quilts) is good, but I am unsure whether to just line the walls or layer it in front to back.
Also, I have made the enclosure 20% smaller to compensate for the damping, is this correct to do?
Thank you in advance.

Natural fibre carpet underlay is perfect, available from larger B&Q's, don't use the rubber stuff, not much good at all. Also from decent carpet shops. Expect to pay around 25 quid for a large roll, probably rather more than you need.
So do I stuff the enclosure full of it, do I roll it up or just staple it on the walls?
And how do I componsate for what I put in there?

felt underlay...

I have used this as well. To know when you have enough stuffing in the box, you may need to do a little testing.

Here's a link to the diysubwoofers.org website which has some good projects and some decent explanations.

Sealed subs are very forgiving of being misaligned. Make sure you use a sub suitable for a sealed enclosure and then a no-brainer. Even building someone else's design, can be very rewarding.

Some great ones can be cloned if you use a the correct amplifier and driver in a clone of the original enclosure. Check out Apex Jr. If he still has any, the M&K 10" or 12" 250 Watt powered sub can be cloned, as he has the amps and the drivers. These subs were very well reviewed and very expensive. The parts to build one would be about $90 for the driver and $120 for the plate amp. Then build a box as per the original M&K sub, say $50 - $100 depending on your choice of materials. These subs were originally $1200 each, but were reduced to $800 prior to M&K closing.

The M&K Vifa co-axial speakers are also very good at $32 a pair. These need a 2 way cross over, but those can be self made or bought off of eBay or similar for very little money.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.