Small 1W amp like TDA2822M as preamp for TAS5630?

Greetings!

I've got a TAS5630 2.1 (running at 48v) but my phone doesn't seam to have enough power on the audio output to bring the amp to it full potential.
So i'm looking around for a siutable preamp now. My question is, if it is possible to use a small amp like the TDA2822M with 2x1W or a slighly biger version with 2x5W as preamp?
I also had a look into headphone preamps but they seam to be more expensive and have less power.
Or do i need some board that is sold as preamp?
I had a look into the TAS datashet and thought the ANALOG INPUTS section is the right one. The voltage gain is 23db there. In the sure manual that gain value is described with in input voltage of about 2v. So i guess i need 2v input voltage to drive it to the max. Still i'm confused why it says that the input resistance is 33 KILO ohm - wich sonds quite high? Max input current is 342 mA btw. So how i know now if a 1W amp delivers 2v at 33 kOhm resistance or if i need a 5W amp for that? - or can't i use amps as preamps at all because there is some different functionality?

Thanks for reading, hope someone can give me a hint ;)
Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Mooly,
so i could use the Tl071 that i've still got here for it?

I was just wondering if there is an easy out of the box thing i could just get because i'm currently in a situation without a lot time for playing building stuff myself. So what is the problem with the 'power chip' - just worse sound quallity or the risk of overpowering the amp input? To prevent it i would test what output level the amp can do with a standard dj mixer at max level at the amps-input and then set the 1w 'power amp' slowly on that level that the volume is rughly the same and don't change anything with it from that point - do you think that would be safe?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The TL071 is a single opamp so you would need two for stereo.

The opamp is much superior to any power amp chip in terms of noise, stability, distortion, power consumption... everything really. And it far simpler to use as well.

Begin by setting the opamp gain to something quite low like 2 or 3 meaning 1 volt in gives 2 volts out or 1 volt in for 3 volts out. You can tweak the gain to be as high or low as you want by altering just one resistor.

Reactions: 1 user