Cheapest, good SQ and easy to get CLASS D around 80W@8ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have owned the Gremlin 400w for a few years.I sold my Gremlin.

I now have the Shui yuan Audio TPA3255, and it's superior in every way. I am waiting for OPA1692 OPs, as recommended by Daniboun. The fake NE5532 stock OPs aren't very good, but they're already good.

Completely agree the sound is convincing even with the NE5532. There is not much to change ...
But I still put opa 1656 for the main speakers, and 1612 for the center speaker, for the rear speakers the ne5532 is more than enough, for a 5-channel HC project, the bass will be managed by an active sub. (sound card in preamp 5.1)
An output of the cards will not be used ... grounding of the input signals and 6 omhs power resistance at the output.
Class Ds don't like to work empty.

They are perfect for making a quality hc!
I have 3 cards of this bluffing little amp!:tilt::tilt::tilt:

Do you have a ling to it?

After a search, I've found this:

shui yuan Audio TPA3255 2.0 Digital Amplifier Board DC24 48v Strong High Power 300W + 300W Class D o Digital Amplifier Board|Amplifier| - AliExpress

But, as there are tons of designs and different sellers it's better to double check.

Yes it is that one.

There is another one a little more expensive but according to Daniboun it would be a little better.

TPA3255 digital power amplifier board high power dual channel 300W+300W ultra low distortion HIFI with independent operational|Amplifier| - AliExpress

Wow, almost twice as expensive. That's close to the 3e Audio price.
I´d express it the other way round:
The 3e-audio has a very good price for what it is
and the Shui Yan and others are ridiculously cheap; in fact so ridiculous that you shouldn´t expect genuine parts and quality control of some sort.
I don´t want to generalize but some of these millions of class-d-amps are not that well engineered at all. That´s why I still think the TI evaluation boards are an option and would always tend to the more "reliable sources".

joensd,

I agree with you, and I most definitely evaluate the TI board (maybe for PBTL mode @100W) and also consider the "super cheap" 3255 as what they are (uber cheap with possibly no QC and knock off parts).

The good thing is that they are good alternatives for good and cheap Class D amps.

maybe for PBTL mode @100W
interesting! What for? I mean you can get 100W out the BTL-mode and have 2 channels instead of 1.

The good thing is that they are good alternatives for good and cheap Class D amps.
Yes. Go with what you´re comfortable with.
If I was in the market for a 4-channel amp and set on class-d, I´d go with two of the TPA3220 mini boards or even a single evaluation module TPA3255 in SE mode (=4 channels) and be done. In SE mode with 53.5V a single EVM would be about 4x40W into 8ohms which would be plenty enough for me.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Anyone here have a Wiener board. My sound reference is my completed Wiener amps. A subjective comparison of Weiner to any of boards being suggested here would be of great value. I've tried 2 - 3 projects with Ali boards that are mentioned elsewhere on this forum only to find that the fidelity is very poor, Weiner being much better.

I'm considering the 300+300 watt mentioned by denbret but trying to avoid wasting more coin.

Thanks!

I had a 3eaudio 3251, and couldn't listen to it, so I almost gave it away. Okay, these weren't the last 3eaudio lines.

I understand the reluctance of many to scraps class D amp from ebay et ali, I have several in drawers.

On the other hand I must say that I was quite curious about the shui yuan 3255, after replacing the OP by OPA1632, I am really impressed, not as good as my class AB amp, but it is in the same style and it's detailed, a good soundstage, with extension and above all very musical.

I wait from one to the other condos and OPA1692, we will see what the amp can offer more.

D

Deleted member 148505

OPA1692 has a similar sound signature, softer sound, and finer highs compared to OPA1656, but it loses on blackness of the background and some crispiness, if you find the TPA3255 harsh, then OPA1692 is a good alternative.

MGA,

I second the recommendation for the Aiyima A04. My son bought one on Amazon, and it came to the door, shipped, with a 35V, 4A power brick, for right around 75 dollars. I wasn't convinced that the little slave amp could make good, loud noise for that price. After putting it through it's paces, my mind is changed. It's a solid little unit.

A couple of members went through the piece during the covid-19 lockdown and figured out how to make the A04 better than it already is. The unit has socketed op amps, so its voicing can be changed to your liking by just popping the stock ones out and different ones in. They also figured out the best value for the money mods to make it sound like something 4 or more times its price. My son decided not to mod the one he got yet, because it was more than good enough for his bedroom.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.