Class d recomendation for esl speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m about to make an upgrade from my Sure AA-AB32313 + Meanwell HLG-320-36A.
The speakers are Final sound 1000i, they do not dip to crazy low Ohms in the bass like most ESL speakers. A benign 4 Ohm load is/was promissed by Final sound.

The options I’m looking at are:

Hypes nCore board/diy
Ice edge board/diy

Crown DCi analog

Should I add other amps to the list?

The reason for upgrade is that I find the Sure AA-AB32313 + Meanwell HLG-320-36A combo is lacking in ”bass tightness”

Edit: Crown CTs has redicoulusly high damping factor From lowest hz to high hz. I’ll add it to my list allso.

Last edited:
Hello,

Personally I would go with the NCOR400. It handles speakers down to 2 ohms with no problems. One I have sounds quite good and I have to wonder how much better one could get. On a limited budget and few local DIY friends, likely won't get to compare directly anytime soon. FWIW.

Also, the NCOR has so little RF problem that I have my tuner on top of the amp case with no sign of any noise at all. Extremely good RF control.

(I am using the SMPS - SMPS1200A400 so as to make sure the supply is not limited in any way. Could go with one of the smaller 600 which can power two NCOR400's pretty well, may limit extremely loud playing of peaks, but works pretty well according to others.)

Greg

Hypex offerings look promesing. Just learned that the fusion plate amps run ncore. They look to be of extremely good value. For example fa122 With 2x125w ncore, dac, dsp And Preamplifier! Can’t find anything about damping factor, s/n ratio, distortion levers etc..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.