Is this a good UcD400HG and driver match?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have Hypex UcD400HG amps driving my midbass in an active system. Recently I'm venturing into open baffle and I'm considering Faital Pro 18HP1010 (8 ohm) in OB to run from 50 to about 400Hz, and I'm wondering if they are a good fit because of the driver impedance at 50Hz.

UcD400HG is rated at 400W into 4 ohm, which means THD under 1%, yet THD jumps from about 0.05% starting at about 200W, or 50% of rated power.
UcD400HG THD.jpg
The amp is also rated at 240W into 8 ohm. Extrapolating from the 4 ohm info, I’m estimating it must deliver about 120W at 0.05% THD. Further extrapolation into 16 ohm I guesstimate about 145W rated power and hence about 70W at 0.05% THD.

Faital has a 4 ohm version of the 18HP1010, but it is not available here. Only the 8 ohm version:
Faital 18HP1010 impedance.jpg
At 50Hz the impedance is about 20 to 25 ohm.

FWIW, I have subs below 50Hz, and a 5m x 10m living room where normal listening is at about 90dB SPL.

Seems to me the high impedance at low frequencies might deplete the amp capabilities but maybe I’m just getting tangled in numbers and your experience shows it would work well.

Thoughts?

450 views, 0 answers. Maybe it was a stupid question? I don't mind being told so, but could you please explain why it's stupid so I learn?

FWIW, Hypex technical service answered that the driver is rated for 2000W therefore the 400W is low. I think it's rather simplistic answer given driver sensitivity, room size and listening levels, but that's what they answered.

Got it. But then I need to buy another two amps for the other channel, right? In that case I might as well buy two larger amps as UcD2k...

Underlying your answer is the notion the amp will indeed not be enough to drive that driver, despite the 93dB sensitivity at 50Hz and the room size/listening SPL needs. Can you help me understand why?

At what frequency? The lower the frequency, the more power is required to reach the same dB. If you have a home theatre setup, you can easily require 1,000w or more to produce the sub-sonic frequencies required to faithfully reproduce the source input.

Also, whose business is it of yours to tell anybody what volume is enough? Is this how everyone is here? Is this why no one will help me on any of my posts asking for help with the 1,000w amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.