thoughts on this BT\class D amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well their Q&A section hasn't been very well translated: "ripple large power supply will lead to power amplifier bottom noise, there is a current sound"

The things to look out for are poor choice of components in the build (different from the glossy pictures on the website!), and failing to live up to the specification, but you know this I think. Its quite neatly laid out and compact, hope it does what you want. I'd check the inductor temperature when its running some power, its not good if they get really hot, as that implies they are under-rated.

Some BT cheapo amps have annoying tones or chinese voice-overs on connection/disconnection, not normally mentioned in the specs.

I basically waited a day after posting and then ordered it as it was around 20 AUD, actually arrived yesterday around the same time the replies started coming in lol.

First impressions is it looks alright and a bit better put together than the 2*50w version I had, eg pots are all straight and perpendicular to the board. Be interesting to see how the sound quality actually is when booted up.

I do wish I saw that APT-X version prior and had a punt on it, but for now I'll give the board the benefit of the doubt and put it in a project..just not 100% sure on the project yet

IMO it doesn't matter if you have the "fancy" version or not. The one you got has a box already, so less effort required. Sort of doubt there's a lot of difference in regards to sound quality between the two.
At any rate, it is cheap, so I guess it is a cheap solution for a lot of uses.

Perhaps you can find/make some cheap small speakers and start looking for a reasonably priced 4ohm woofer to put in a box. Do you have a power supply?

I'm doing a smaller 2.1ch project at the moment, afraid to use this amp as it would have waaaay too much power for 1.5 and 3 inch drivers.

Almost thinking of a my take on a boominator inspired build just don't really know yet

All I know is one night I'll wake up with an idea and it will become an obsession

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
afraid to use this amp as it would have waaaay too much power for 1.5 and 3 inch drivers.

I would not worry about that, I would worry about finding cheap enough drivers to match...
If you appreciate sound and music you will stay far below the "rated" power, this thing will not sound nice at 10% distortion.
Pending on what PSU you get to match, I'd expect you to get 2*15-20 + 1*30-40 watts.

IF! And only if!
The chip is of decent quality and there are no significant defects on the board or surrounding parts (you are completely in the the dark there, trust me).
With a 12v car battery or SLA, at 1% distortion (IMO the number you should look at to get an indication of maximum limits, not 10%) you can expect about 10w in 8 ohm loads, and 20w in 4 ohm loads per the TI datasheet on page 10.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/t...&ref_url=https://www.ti.com/product/TPA3116D2

IMO it actually seems great for a minimum-effort mini-speaker setup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.