linear power supply vs switching mode power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A quick question:

Does a linear power supply make a noticeable sound improvement over a switching mode power supply ?

I have a Fosi Audio TDA7498E mini power amplifier i have used for some days with my tube buffer with upgraded tube.

I wanted to try it without the tube buffer and it also (still) sounds good, i have use a TPA3116 based amp, where the amp sounded worse without the tube buffer than my TDA7498E amp does (the difference where bigger with the TDA3116 amp not using the tube buffer than it is with my TDA7498 amp).

The power rating of the power supply is the safe maximum power it can deliver without damage. You can use a lower rating power supply to power an amplifier provided it delivers a voltage that is compatible with the amplifier's rails voltage. Difficulties start to arise when you overdrive your amplifier forcing it to drain more current (Amperes) from the power supply which exceed it maximum current rating.

As an anecdote, although still related:
I am using a large public address amplifier at home powered from a 24V AC instead of 230V AC and I am still getting a good sound output, BUT at a much much reduced maximum power output. The amplifier's maximum power output is 1500W Average, but I am capping that to about 4.5W peak.

Last edited:
A quick question:

Does a linear power supply make a noticeable sound improvement over a switching mode power supply ?

I have a Fosi Audio TDA7498E mini power amplifier i have used for some days with my tube buffer with upgraded tube.

I wanted to try it without the tube buffer and it also (still) sounds good, i have use a TPA3116 based amp, where the amp sounded worse without the tube buffer than my TDA7498E amp does (the difference where bigger with the TDA3116 amp not using the tube buffer than it is with my TDA7498 amp).

It depends on which Linear supply and which SMPS, in general the Linear PSU will have lower noise because the SMPS has, well, switching noise, however, modern SMPS are very quiet, the switching frequency is usually quite high, you can add an LC Pi filter of the SMPS if you want less noise.

Note that many amplifiers don't even need nor they want to have a regulated power supply, so a simple transformer with some big *** capacitors and a bridge rectifier might do the job.

Last edited:
I tried to find a 24v 10a laptop sized power adapter,supply, you know one of the plug and play versions

The difference is quiet big compared to 4.5a which is what my current power adapter has and 10a, made me wonder what it does for the sound quality like a linear power supply

It's so hard, all of that type of power adapters,supplys are from aliexpress and i risk import duty and handling fee + atleast the same price or more for fast delivery (and then it stil takes 7 days or longer)

240W DC 24V 10A power adapter TDA7498 TPA3116 Audio Digital power amplifier power supply AC 100V 240V DC24v Power Supply Adapter|AC/DC Adapters| - AliExpress

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.